440 IC SHIFTING PROBLEM

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 IC SHIFTING PROBLEM

Post by ironyetty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:05 pm

I FINALLY GOT ALL THE FUEL LINES CHANGED A REBUID KIT ON THE CARB AND GOT THE CHANCE TO FIRE MY NEW 440IC UP, STARTED RIGHT UP AND HAS A TINY MISS I THINK BUT I AM NOT ALL THAT FAMILIER WITH THE 2 CYL. BUT I AM TICKLED TO DEATH.

MY HYDRAULICS TO THE BLADE WORK VERY WELL , HOWEVER THE SHIFTER WILL NOT GO INTO ANY GEARS? I HAVE IT IN NEUTRAL AND THE FORWARD REVERSER IN NEUTRAL BUT I CAN'T GET THE GEAR SHIFTER TO GO INTO ANY GEAR? WHEN I FIRST GOT THIS MACHINE IT SHIFTED GEARS WITH OUT STARTING IT. I PUSHED THE DOZER WITH ANOTHER PIECE OF EQUIPMENT AND THE TRACKS MOVE FREELY SO THE TRANSMISSION IS TURNING , RIGHT? AT LEAST PART OF IT. DO YOU THINK IT COULD JUST BE ICE DOWN AROUND THE SHIFTER CAUSING IT TO NOT GO INTO GEAR? WE HAVE HAD SNOW AND ICE LAST WEEK NOT SURE IF THIS HAS CAUSED IT OR IF IF IT MAY BE SOMETHING WORSE?

MY GUESS IS THAT WATER HAS WORK ITS WAY DOWN INTO THE GEAR MESH AND FROZE THE FORKS AND THE GEARS BUT ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!
IRONYETTY

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Ironyetty,

Yes if you had it setting outside in the snow and ice you could have snow and ice built up in the shift tower. Try unscrewing the shifter knob and remove the stamped housing that has the gear pattern in it (4 small bolts, one at each corner). If that is not the problem than try to drain the transmission as they are known for water getting past the shifter and filling the trans. If this happened and the water froze than it would not let you shift into any gears.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:25 pm

I do not have a reverser but from what I remember reading it does not have a neutral. It must be fully engaged in forward or reverse at all times or you may cause damage. So this may also be part of your problem.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

shifter

Post by spooler » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm

I have a 420 5 roller the reverser must be engaged to grab a gear...or at least it always worked better when it was engaged..try engaging the reverser, then grab a gear.

Chuck

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 pm

More then likely it leaked water in the booth of the shifter as mentioned above and all the water has went to the bottom. You could have quite a bit of water in the bottom of the tranny so you have to get it warmed up for a long time to melt the water before you can even drain it. Not that I am talking from experence or anything but now I put a bucket over the shifter if I leave it sit out side. I should just break down and put a new booth on it but that would be to much like doing the right thing. LOL Good Luck

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:17 am

JUST IN CASE ANYONE WAS WONDERING THE RESULTS IT WAS INDEED A LOT OF ICE IN THE TRASMISSION GEARS AND THE DIFFERENTIAL BUT UPON FURTHER INSPECTION MY OUTPUT SHAFT PINION WAS MISSING A FEW TEETH. NOW ITS OFF TO FIND A NEW PINION AND BEGIN THE REBUILD.
IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND A NEW ONE GIVE ME A HEADS UP.

THANKS ,
IRONYETTY