JD 440IC Steering Clutch Friction (Fiber) Disks

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

JD 440IC Steering Clutch Friction (Fiber) Disks

Post by hunter41mag » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:13 pm

I ran into a problem with the rebuilding of the left side steering clutch on
my 440IC (1960). By the parts book along with my serial number (4567XX) it calls for 8 metal disc and 8 friction (fiber) disk per steering clutch. This is also what was pulled out when I disassembled them. On the left side I used 8 new replacement friction (fiber) discs and the right side I only used 3 new fiber discs along with 5 old ones. After reassembly the right side steering clutch release fine and the left side would not release.
When looking in the adjustment holes in the top of the final drives I could see the release bearing was moving the clutch fingers for a good amount of travel but yet the pressure plate did not move away from the clutch pack as the right side did. So I pulled the left side final drive again and found that the pressure plate square towers (they go through the clutch frame to the release fingers) have a step on them and this was bottomed against the clutch frame. John Deere for this setup on a 440IC calls for a new thickness of the fricton (fiber) disc of .148"-151" and the replacement ones are .158", so that is .080" extra. What I did to correct this is I salvage 5 old friction (fiber) disc and put in 3 new ones like I did on the right side steering clutch and it worked fine, My other choice would have been to machine the pressure plate down some (maybe .075" to .100"). Below are pictures of the clearance between the pressure plate tower step and clutch frame after reassembly with 5 old and 3 new fricton (fiber) discs. Also posted one with clutch finger setting gauge in its correct position.

I was able to take it for a test drive on Sunday Feb 11th and everything worked fine.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Magoo1
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Magoo1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Don, I ran into the same problem, I just removed the first metal disk. The fingers adjusted fine. The dozer steers great.

Just my .02.

Magoo
40 C, 60 Row Crop, 420 W, 420 W all fuel, 440 C, two 420 L&G and 1020 Ru Diesel

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Little John » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks for the clutch finger setting gage picture....'better than a thousand words'