2010 Opinions and Knowledge Needed

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Teddy (punchie)
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 Opinions and Knowledge Needed

Post by Teddy (punchie) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Getting ready to buy a 2010 John Deere Loader. First 3 years used to dig basements and after that a older friend of my has had it. He maybe put 300-400 hours on it mostly move tree and equipment a few logging roads.
As all 145 engines it has a few problems and I need to get an Idea of where to start.

Diesel and smokes a little at start up and when we had it runing is still smoked some. But the bigger trouble is the oil pressure, at start was ok then dropped of to just about zero at an idle and didn't go up from there when RPM where higher. Last thing is the water in the oil after a couple of months setting it ends up with about 8 - 12 oz of anti-freeze in the oil, which we drain out. I have a basic understanding of what maybe wrong but would like some opinions of what is up with the oil pressure and the water.

Thanks !!

Teddy
Like to work outside and try to make a little money at it, if I can. Farm is mostly hay and some small grains. Just getting started with a 2010 loader.

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF FIXING MY 2010, IT SEEMS AS THOUGH JUST ABOUT EVERY DIESEL BLOCK HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HEAD CRACKING. WHICH IS WHAT THE CASE WAS ON MINE, EVIDENTLY THESE ENGINS WERE NOTORIOUS FOR THIS BECAUSE IT IS HARD TO FIND A REBUILT HEAD AND IF YOUR SO LUCKY IT'S GOING TO COST YOU, MINE WAS $750 FOR A REBUILT ONE. SORRY TO BE THE BARER OF BAD NEWS. THIS EXPLAINS THE ANTI FREEZE IN THE OIL NOT ENTIRELY SURE IF THIS WOULD CAUSE YOUR OIL PRESSURE TO DROP.

IRONYETTY

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 pm

ALL 1010 and 2010 diesels are going to smoke at cold start up period. If you glow plug them properly and everything is new and tight, they may not too much, but still smoke and slobber for a few seconds. Oil pressure would concern me, that is not right. As to the anti-freeze, as was stated, could be head, could also be liner o-rings. Either way not a quick fix, and will cost some money.
Lavoy

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Also check your air filter as this will cause it to smoke if it is clogged up.

mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by mc_mike » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Just my 2 cents but we have a cat 933 diesel loader in addition to a few JDs and we had water in the oil and lost oil pressure after it was hot. The solution for the oil pressure problem was that there was to much clearance in the main bearings. That was an expensive one. The the water problem was the liners leaking. Hopefully your JD is cheaper to fix than a Cat 'cause it was expensive.

Tiny Crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tiny Crawler » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:49 pm

And my two Lincolns

One possible cause of the oil pressure problem can be overfilled oil fluid level or water in the oil, and with the water leaking into the crankcase it sounds that you could be having both conditions. An overfilled crankcase or water in the crankcase can cause a fluctuation or drop in oil pressure and also rocker arm "clatter" an overfull or water in the oil condition results in the engine crankshaft splashing and agitating the oil, causing it to foam. The aerated oil causes the lifter/cam follower to "bleed down". This in turn results in rocker arm "clatter" and loss of engine performance due to the valves not opening properly.

Oil pressure is dependant on oil viscosity and oil temperature and if the oil is foaming guess what? Foaming oil also affects the ability for oil to move though the filter.

2nd possible case, I know on the 1010 oil pump there is a pressure-regulating mechanism built into the oil pump. Pressure is regulated via a spring and a number of spacers behind the spring and regulating plug. This might also be the same for the 2010?

I guess I can caulk this up with on the job training for the 6DOF flight simulator motion systems I have been working on for the past 20 years. You pilot guys would love my job. Designing building and flying in fixed wing or rotor wing aircraft simulators, also my engine tinkering with multiple engine types.

tiny...