JD 2010 crawler with 820 loader question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
buckhunter
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 2010 crawler with 820 loader question

Post by buckhunter » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I have a JD 2010 with an 820 loader. I'm having some hydraulic problems. There was a new hydraulic pump installed. Same problem existed with old pump. The problem is when the hydraulics get warmed up the main cylinders do not want to life with a load. I tested the main cylinders and the seals were fine. The bucket cylinders seals were out so rebuilding them. Does anyone know if the joystick would cause such a problem? Also can I buy parts to rebuild the joystick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tiny Crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tiny Crawler » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Yes, there could be an issue with the control valve that the joystick is attached to.

First ensure your fluid level it correct and clean, which I assume from pump replacement.

Check the relief valve cartridge first, it is the plug like item in line with the spooler valve that moves in and out the valve body for directional control of the fluid. This valve protects the system for over pressure on that spooler valve system.

The Boom valve is on the valve assembly and it is the one next to the seat. On the boom valve; the relief valve is the one on the side where the spooler attaches to the control handle (joystick) the opposite side is the anti-cavitation valve, Remove and see if there is dirt lodged in cartridge or if it is damaged. There is a snap ring on the inside of the cartridge that can be removed to access the components inside; (if you do this remember the order of the parts in side) You can also swap the cartridge out with the bucket valve, but only to see if it fixes your problem, each relief valve is mechanically set to a different pressure to protect the components from over pressure.

Next you would have to start taking the valve apart, and checking for problems, first problem to look for would be the o-rings inside the valve assembly, they could be old and hard and have broken down, Also look for obstructions in valve assembly and hydraulic lines, look for worn control valve components, could be the spoiler or valve body etc.,

On purchasing the parts to repair; it depends on what is damaged or level of service you are after. I priced rebuild kits for the valves from John Deere and they were steep when I was rebuilding my loader and backhoe valve assemblies, but I had the Service Manual and Parts List for both and was able to buy all the items to repack the valve assemblies with new o-rings, backup washers, and nylon balls etc.