440 DRIVE SPROCKET REPAIR

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 DRIVE SPROCKET REPAIR

Post by ironyetty » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:47 am

I AM CONSIDERING BUILDING BACK UP THE TEETH ON MY 440 IC DRIVE SPROCKET AS THEY ARE WORE DOWN. I AM A WELDER BY PROFESSION SO THATS NOT A PROBLEM BUT IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD BE PARTICULARLY CAREFULL ABOUT? WILL IT BE NESSISARY TO GRIND EVERYTHING BACK DOWN SMOOTH?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

IRONYETTY

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:18 am

I think as long as you have enough point on the sprocket tooth you should be all right if your buildup is even enough there is no need for grinding . I was told that you should weld sprocket face with the drive direction [not side to side as it is more consistent for the track tension .I have a 21B Allis with a drainage plow on it when I bought it the sprockets and rails were just welded up with a build up layer .I figured I would replace these anyway.So I bought nearly new chains and new sprocket sections from a track dealer . That was seven years ago and that machine works daily.The build ups are still on and showing signs of wear but still in great shape .Pulling a plow is easier than dozing dirt although but you shouldn't use that old Deere to aggressive,If you are a welder you know the way to do it keep it cool and a little bit at a time .P.S. I never admit to knowing how to weld so no one asks me to I would never get out of the shop if I did !!Good Luck .Digitup.