440icd

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

440icd

Post by switchhappy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:03 pm

can any one tell me a good way to go about bleeding out my fuel lines on a 440 with the gm disial motor.. i got the old thang to try to start then i seen it wasent gitting no more fuel.. also.. is there a kill cable that kills the motor or is it all controled by the throtle lever

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Bleeding the system

Post by Stretch » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Just an idea. I don't know much about the 440. But most GM diesels had a fuel rack dump.
I made up a deal I use on all diesels when I service or work on them that works pretty slick. I took an old 50 lb propane tank and removed the propane fittings and replaced with a couple of shut offs and an adapter that would go to a vacuum pump for ac service. I would pull a vacuum on the tank and then take the liquid line for the tank and have a hose hooked to it , I would then disconnect the line at the fuel pump and suck the air out pulling fuel through the filters and to the pump. Most times that is all I would have to do. Every now and then you might have to crack an injector line. This sure helped me alot not putting so much draw on the starter.

Stretch

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:41 am

What I did on mine was; first take the tank off and clean the trash out of the tank and the outlet from the tank. At this time I built a new line over to the filter. and incorporated a shutoff valve at the bottom of the tank. Next I got the correct size element and put it in the filter housing.
My tank needs to be about half full to start flowing right. Then remove the screw from the top of the filter housing and bleed the air out up to there. Reinstall the screw and loosen the line at the pump to get the air out there. After that mine ran fine as the pump purges the injectors. According to the parts list there should be a shutoff cable that connects to the linkage near where the rack goes in the head. Mine is not currently equipped and is adjusted so that when the throttle is in the idle position the engine dies. HTH
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by switchhappy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:37 am

i thank that is how mine is to to tell u the truth.. i see no shut off at all.. and as of the fuel, my bleeder screw is stuck. i got it soaking with pb blaster so mabe it will come loose