1010 Crawler with loader.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Michaelkclites
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 Crawler with loader.

Post by Michaelkclites » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:43 pm

I am new to the crawler world. Many years ago, I had a 420C.

Question: Am looking at a 1010C Desiel. I have one chap tell me to stay away from them. Many engine problems. What's the real story.

Thank you,

mkc

Tiny Crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tiny Crawler » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:56 pm

I have two running 1010's crawler loader and dozer, and have not had engine troubles yet; the 1010 engine was a new design from John Deere, for their line of equipment. So yes there is some bad rap out there on them, being the ""Proto Type Diesel Engine" one issue was durability problems on the early models attributed to the sleeve-and-Deck design.

Depends on what you are going to use the unit for and who used it before you and how it was serviced, These crawlers are now around 45 years old, (that’s older than Me), and I have been running the dickens out of them just doing landscaping work around the house and small jobs around the area and have been running well, and I am very happy with both crawlers.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Here's a link to the weirddeere.com site that describes the 1010. Overall, the engine was sort of the weak spot from what I can tell but I've got a 1961 1010CA with the gas engine and I'd have to say it held up well over the years.

http://www.johnnypopper.com/weirddeere/NG/The_1010.html

Brace yourself if you need engine parts. They're Deere only items and expensive. I'll have about $2000 in an engine overhaul when I'm done and I shopped the parts pretty hard. I could have done it for half the money on a 440 with the Detroit Diesel.
Bill Wattson