Loader won't lift - update

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
R420
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by R420 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm

I bought a 420 with a Henry loader just after Christmas and everything was fine for the first month, then it turned bitterly cold and suddenly my loader would not lift. Down pressure was fine and the bucket would tip and roll but no lift at all. I thought maybe there was a slug of ice in a line and several people agreed that mighty be the problem. We have had beautiful weather for the last 4 days, it was close to 60 yesterday and almost 70 today. Any ice should have been melted by now so I tried it again. The right cylinder moves about two inches but the left doesn't budge. The lines tee off of the control body so they should both be getting the same pressure. If I switch the lines off of the control the problem is still with the lift and the down pressure still works. It has to be something with the left hoses or the cylinder. What could possibly be wrong? Please help me on this? Thanks

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 pm

I have the same loader,I rebuilt the cylinders this winter when I had everything apart.There was alot of the packing tore away and sitting in the bottom of the bore.Maybe you have a piece stuck in a line or port,try removing the lines and see if you get any flow. Steve
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 am

it is still possable that the leather packings fell apart and stuck in the filter or spool valve.
is it possable to put a gauge on it or isolate a cylinder?

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 pm

I had a hose one time that came apart inside and acted like a flap that would cut off the flow when I tried to lift. It was hard to find but once i changed it it worked great. Good luck

Magoo1
420 crawler
420 crawler

Oil line

Post by Magoo1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Twice I have had a flexable brake line act as a "one way " valve trapping the fluid - causing the brakes to drag.

Check the lines.

Magoo
40 C, 60 Row Crop, 420 W, 420 W all fuel, 440 C, two 420 L&G and 1020 Ru Diesel

lherseth
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by lherseth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:00 pm

I have a henery on my 420 and it was having lift problems. Theres a sreen in the fitting that atacthes to the feed line to the pump. it keep s debris from getting into the pump kinda like a oil filter.This is the fitting that is screwed into the loader tank. It looks like a regular pine fitting but its not. Just take the feed hose off the loader and remove the fitting and make sure the sreen is not clogged.

tod
420 crawler
420 crawler

ducket wont work?i had a simmilar problem.

Post by tod » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 pm

NNAATZ wrote:it is still possable that the leather packings fell apart and stuck in the filter or spool valve.
is it possable to put a gauge on it or isolate a cylinder?
ok my bucket quit on me and it was ruuing fine all weekend this is a440ic crawler with the pump up front in the grille ...anyways first i thought it was the pump ,played the find a pump deal wich was not easy ,lavoy had ond i got it and put it in and still no bucket ,then i went deeper. i pulled the pump again and found that the coupler to the pump was worn out .now what to do?i played the look for acoupling deal and with no sucess didnt find one ,then i decided to weld the shaft after i tried to put allen set screws in it the allens didnt work but the weld did. maybe thats whats wrong with yours too.i took mine way apart and finnaly found that it was the coupling. good luck with your tractor Tod
jd 440 ic crawler i need parts when i break it.

R420
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by R420 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Ok, I finally got the loader to lift by switching both of the hoses on each of the lift cylinders.Then the loader would lift but there was no down pressure. It worked but not very well because the control valve action was reversed with the float function on the same side as the lift function. Really hard to use that way, dangerous also. Eventually the down pressure started working also so I put the hose back the way they were supposed to be. I was pushing some fill the other day when a lift hose ruptured and I lost all fluid instantly. I replaced the hose and when I went to use it again the lift funtion wasn't working again, just the down pressure and both bucket functions. I switched the lift and lower hoses again and sure enough, I had lift but not down pressure. After a few minutes the down pressure returned. I want to switch the hoses back to the way they should be but I know that it won't be too long before I loose the lift function again. There must be some contamination that keeps plugging up the valve. Sure would have been nice if it had gotten blown out with all of the fluid I lost. Anyone have any ideas? Looks like I need to tear the valve body apart.

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:41 pm

i think the packing are shot in the cylinders. when your lifting the other side of the cylinder is filling, vice versa. and opening the relive valve. so ya the bucket will work.
seams like it's acting against it's self

hoodeleydoo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hoodeleydoo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:50 am

Hey, you doing any better???
I have a henry loader with some similiar problems in the past. Here are some suggestions
1) check the oil for water or dirt. the loader valve can be really sensative to it, if you have too much water in the oil it will kill the pump.
2) look for vacuum leaks on the suction side of the pump. the pump is set so far away from the tank that any leaky lines and its foams the oil.
3) the original suction filter sucks!!! the line to the pump or the filter can clog and easily prevent the pump from pumping - EASILY prevent it. I put a screw on type filter that clogged frequently - I though it was rediculous but it was the culprit.
4) change ALL the oil and flush out the tanks - both of them including the small little hose that connects the two tanks just above the track supports.
make sure the line is as level or LOW and possible. If the line is higher than the bung of the tanks you will trap a whole lot of crap in one tank.
5) it may be your loader valve too. see if the bucket will work and work as fast as it should. if it works slow that its a hydraulic problem and see steps one through 4. If it works normally its the boom valve.
relatively easy to fix or replace.

hope this helps.
Do you have any pictures of your machine????
1956 420C with Henry loader

R420
MC crawler
MC crawler

Loader update.

Post by R420 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:54 am

I'm still using it with the hoses hooked up backwards. Functions fine this way, well sort of. The only problem is that you have to be careful when lifting the loader. Move the handle a small amount and the loader goes up like it should. Move it a little farther and the valve goes to float at which point the loader drops like mad, especially if it is full of gravel. I have gotten used to it that way and have actually put quite a few hours on the machine this year. I drained all the fluid and put in new. Maybe I'll switch the hoses back the way they should be this week to see what happens.. Right now I'm pulling the radiator. Punched a huge hole in it. Ouch!

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:34 pm

do you have the original valve body?I have the same one but doesn't have the float postion.
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!