440 icd motor siezed

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
DozerAndy
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 icd motor siezed

Post by DozerAndy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:16 pm

Hello all,
This is a follow up on my previous post back in February. I had the 440 icd that would not turn over. It had water in the crankcase. I suspected hydro-locked but today I removed the fuel injectors and the pistons were dry. I then pulled the blower off and the gears on the blower turned freely. I didn't play with it too much for fear of messing up the timing on the blower; just rocked it back and forth and little bit. With the blower off, I looked up into the block cavity and there was rust stain up around the air holes in the cylinder sleeves. Took the hydraulic tank off and the radiator and then removed the hydraulic pump. Tried to turn the motor with a big wrench on the end of the motor shaft but no go. I left it with a ounce or two of Mystery Oil in each cylinder and tarped it back up (it's in the brush).

It ran good when it was parked but was not started for 2 years. Has anyone had any experiences with these motors when the get siezed up by being out in the weather? Any possibilites short of a complete rebuild?

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

detroit 253

Post by 440icd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm

Well, I bought a 440icd four or so years ago; it was stuck, and stuck good.
Ended up pulling head off, (not to bad) pulling pan off, was a pain.
Poured some kerosene into the top of pistons, put a small rag in each (a wick) and lit it, did this 2 or 3 times. Oh ya the oil trick didn't work for me tried WD for about 2 weeks.
Then I got it to budge, after sitting for 15 years. I put a hydraulic jack under the motor with a rod up into the bottom of the piston, on top I got a 4x4 carved it round to fit into top of cylinder, and used sledge hammer on top.
So I worked it back and forth with the jack underneath and the sledge hammer on top. Got it done.
I took the pistons out, re-groved piston rings (I crushed them with the sledge), new rings new bearing and thrust washers underneath. Put it all back together and it ran.

Used it to build two houses, cleared land, and now Iam doing a complete re-build on another 2-53 I bought, a marine gen 2-53 bare block and crank are the same. Same rotation as well.

These are stout motors, and will run 50 years with my usage but you might want to pull and re-build, unless you want to wait 3 years like I did, although I did get a ton of work done with her while she ran good. Still runs but starting to knock, have to build one more house so I want to rebuild before I throw a rod, lots of crank case pressure as well. So this time I am doing the whole thing.

scott
Scott in wa.

DozerAndy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by DozerAndy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Scott. It sounds like yours was stuck pretty good. I've never heard burning the kerosene in the cyliner wall trick. Have heard of soaking with Marvel's Mystery Oil, kroil, pb blaster, liquid wrench, used motor oil out of a diesel engine (something about the acid?)or staight diesel. Keep soaking it and give it a try every week or two with a wrench and cheater pipe. Since it'll take me a few months to save up for an overhaul kit, I figure I might as well keep messing with it. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'd be tickled to get 3 more years out of her before a major overhaul. I've been told by others too that the 2-53 is a tough little motor.