1010 jd Crawler 1961

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Little River Farms
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 jd Crawler 1961

Post by Little River Farms » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Looking for some information on removing a starter. Does anyone know of the easiest way? The starter is up against the frame and ones we have seen they have been cut with a torch and pieced back together. We don't want to do this. Any suggestions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :roll:

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:26 pm

I have a 1961 1010CA and didn't have to do anything extraordinary to get the starter out. My book is out in the shop just now but as I remember, I just had to disconnect the battery cables, remove the wires from the front of the starter, remove the two nuts from the starter studs using a long rachet extension, and slide the starter forward and out.

Let me check the book and I'll let you know if I missed something that needs to be removed that would be in the way but I sure don't remember it being all that much of a problem.
Bill Wattson

Tiny Crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tiny Crawler » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I have done this now on both of my 1010's, on a Diesel engine you have to remove the fuel filters. There should be a notch in the frame to access the nut on the trackside, using a gear wrench worked best. It is also hard getting the nut back onto the stud. Biggest problem was getting the starter up from between the engine block and frame, You can loosen the frame bolts and use a pry bar to spread the frame out from the block, Just need about 1/4", It is kind of difficult by yourself, but if you have someone hold the starter and another pry It should slide right out. Battery cable and solenoid wire should be long enough to unhook after removed. You can also purchase them from Napa for around $350, Steep, The starter can be rebuilt, they are a Delco ramey,9 tooth I think, I had a local guy rebuild mine in a day, I dropped it off at 11:00 and picked it up at 4:30 he has some good software application to cross reference to the Delco Ramey line.
Good Luck.
tiny...