2010 steering arms

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

2010 steering arms

Post by Pammark » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:36 am

My 2010 needs some TLC. Right now when you depress the brake pedal, the right arm moves back. I heard the arms should not move at all. Is it possible to have some rusted connectors?

I also noticed when you pull the left steering arm, you feel some clutch spring resistance. When you pull the right arm, there does not seem to be any resistance at all until the brake pad hits. This is the side that does not steer either. Is it possible I have a broken linkage or dropped pin to the clutch through-out and still connected to the brake pad?

I have the loader on it. I assume to get to the top of the clutch plates I need to remove the seat and battery box.
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:51 pm

I found it easier to remove the seat frame to access the steering clutchs.
I am just about through replacing the clutches and brake on the left side of my 2010. A manual helps a bunch.
There should not be any movement in the levers when you press the brake pedal. Good luck.
Stretch

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Found the Problem

Post by Pammark » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:26 am

I looked under the steering clutch top plate and seen the steering linkage was all in place and working. I noticed the clutch internal springs did not move. I think the throw-out bearing has lost all its marbles. I also seen where someone added some spacers in the adjustment arm to get more stroke. So now I get the pleasure to yank the finals and replace the bearing.

That sounds like a summer job when I can park the dozer outside and get around with my tractor loader.

At least now I know it is fruitless to try the steering arm thinking the clutch will break loose.
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:45 pm

It is also possible that the clutchs have caused the pressure plate to collapse. I guess that is a moot point though.
I have just finished replacing steering clutchs and brakes on my 2010, adjusted everything up and seems to be fine. :D I did all that without pulling the final drive housing. Good luck.
Stretch