440 icd on road to recovery

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Purepowder2000
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 icd on road to recovery

Post by Purepowder2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:12 pm

OK now that I have the engine running, but waiting for this governor link part. I am now working on the steering levers that are frozen. The master pins are on the bottom in the middle of the tracks.

How can I get theses pins to the back?

Should I jack up the tractor and then with another tractor pull the tracks with a chain.I have noticed that this tractor is heavy as hell and seems hard and dangerous to do so. Also is it safe to put jack stands under winch or only cross bars?

or

I do I try to drag crawler until pins are in the right place. Manual shows how with everything working.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:41 pm

My opinion is to get this crawler into an area where you can work on it correctly. The fact that your steering levels are frozen likely means you will have to go into the finals and replace the steering clutches (sorry about the bad news). Once they rust, they usually have to be replaced. So, get it on a hard surface (like concrete) so that you can properly jack it up and get some strong supports under it. I jacked my 440ICD up and placed stands under the cross-bars. Use heavy jack stands or something else very solid. Once you have it jacked up, you can move the tracks to whatever position you want to get to the master links. Getting the links out is another story, get a big hammer! Loosen the tracks before you start banging on the master links.

Once you start working on this, you will find out that everything is quite heavy so make sure you can get an engine hoist or gantry over the machine. I never would have been able to work on my machine without my gantry to lift the finals, engine, rear weights, etc.

Purepowder2000
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Purepowder2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:29 pm

Getting it to concrete is probably not an option sadly. But I do have these metal sheets that I should be able to use. They are the back doors to some tractor trailers. I figure I can drag it onto them. Hell I have plenty of them. I bet my little crappy jack stands are no good. I think I will have to buy them and a big jack. I tried to get it off the ground with a couple of my jacks and my backhoe. wasn't working to well.