Operational 420

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Operational 420

Post by ggfossen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:53 pm

I spent most of last year rebuilding a 420c, and was on the board a lot asking questions, and seeking answers. In December, I had it up and running, but had some problems during the first couple of days of operation. Then we went south to escape the cold. We just got back, and I have been pushing dirt with the 420 for the last 3 days.

I had installed 350 tracks with some adaptor plates that I made in the shop. I also install a 350 ROPS cage. This was not a complete restoration, but it did include a completely rebuilt engine, new clutch, and a lot of tinkering in the finals.

It has burned absolutely no oil, and continues to run strongly. There is an occasional catch, or snap, in the right track when I release the brake after hard turning. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, so I won't worry about it.

This crawler has a quite large Holt blade on it, and I'm finding it to be amazingly strong. The tracks will spin out, but that is why I went to the narrower (10") pads. I wanted the safety factor. Too much to break inside.

The 350 ROPS is better than I expected. It does keep the rain off, and the added choker hangers and tool hangers are really quite handy. The 2" inch water pipe limb risers have been put to the test, and did well.

I still don't know if it is charging properly, and the tach quit (might just be the cable), but these things are not big issues, and I will address them when I have the time.

I'm burning about a gallon an hour; maybe a bit less.

I relate all of this just in case someone out there is wondering about the practicality of the little 420s. A big machine would be faster and easier, but the 420 is really quite amazing for it's size. Don't sell them short.

Last but not least, Lavoy was a really big help in all of this.

Gary

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:36 pm

sounds like your having fun where I used to live my nieghbor had some dirt he wanted pushed around and I use to go back in his woods put the head set on listen to the ballgame and enjoy. keep playing

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:37 pm

sounds like your having fun where I used to live my nieghbor had some dirt he wanted pushed around and I use to go back in his woods put the head set on listen to the ballgame and enjoy. keep playing

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Howard,

Actually, I'm building road into a piece of property we hope to sell so we can go spend the money with reckless abandon.

Problem is, it's Southern Oregon, and everything is about a steep as a cow's face. Big trees and big stumps, but not too many rocks...yet.

A 450 might be better, but the little 420 does a good job.
Gary