1010 ring Gear

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GraderDan
430 crawler
430 crawler

1010 ring Gear

Post by GraderDan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:20 am

Thanks for getting back to my question, kinda figured that it was not going to be good new's, but one can always hope. Just wanted to make sure of what you mean by split the front of the transmission, if you could go into that a little more that would be great. This wouldn't be so bad if I had a shed to do it in with a good cement floor, my lawn up at our pond is now gettin to look like a junk yard with all the parts and stuff strewd across it, but the bright side is I am gettin to know more about the crawler and crawlers in general and maybe someday I will beable to buy it from my father in law, right now he does not want to part with it.
Thanks for all your help, Dan

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:41 am

Dan,
IF, and that is if, I remember correctly, the ring gear on a 1010 will not come out unless you have the powershaft removed or at least dropped down in its bearings to get enough clearance to get the gear out. Only way to get to the powershaft to remove it, is to take everything from the radiator to the front of the transmission off (splitting it). The first split is at the engine/reverser, next split is at reverser/transmission. I would make sure that this is the case before I went to all that work, but in the back or my mind I remember not being able to do it any other way.
Lavoy

GraderDan
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by GraderDan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Lavoy, I tought that was what you meant, but just wanted to make sure.
We have already removed everything back to the transmission, so will remove the winch and tracks and finals next and go from there.
Thanks, Dan

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:23 am

Dan-

I've been going through a real ordeal myself on a 420C involving removing finals etc. Then inital plan was to tighten the carriage caps that hold the undercarriage to the cross shafts. Way more work than greasing the rollers and tightening 16 bolts. It's been a snowball and at first I was lil mad it turned out like that. As I'm starting reassembly.. I'll point out that nothing I've found would have lasted too much longer. It's a long road ahead but I think in the end you'll find that it's better to have gone through it all. Good luck with your project and keep us posted how it turns out.

Jimmy