Drain Plug Question on 2010 Crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Drain Plug Question on 2010 Crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi Guys-

This seems like a stupid question to me but I can take it :)

I was underneath the rear of my 2010 crawler on Sunday and noticed what looked to be drain plug bolts on the bottom of the rear raised casting, just forward of the bottom mounting bracket bolts for the backhoe bracket and in line front to back with the final drives. There is one drain plug bolt on each side of the crawler within this bottom casting which has a raised "tongue and groove" surface. I know am not describing this very well and didn't have the foresight to take a picture.

Could these possibly be drain plugs for condensation within the steering clutch housing or something else? It looked too far rearward to be the transmission drain plugs but I guess I don't know for sure. I looked in my manuals and still couldn't identify these plugs/bolts.

Thanks in advance.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Sounds like the brake band holding bolt. There is one on each side, bottom of steering clutch housings. Will look like a drain plug with a bolt through the middle. The bolt goes through and sets in a slot on the brake band to keep it in position.
Stretch
Just a guess though
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.