440IC Air Cleaner

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Depth of down pipe in oil bath air cleaner

Post by jd440 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Hello,

Did anyone manage to find out how deep the down pipe goes into the oil bath, preferably for a 440IC but any oil bath air filter will do? :?

This is the last thing I have to repair before putting my crawler back into action. The engine is back together and running, but the air cleaner is not ready yet. :cry:

Thanks,

Derek

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm really sorry Derek. I meant to get that measurement for you and completely forgot. I'll get out to the barn tomorrow and get that for you.
Bill Wattson

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Carb Match

Post by Pammark » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 am

The carb looks just like the one on a ford 8N tractor. Most likely the same manufacturer. Go to a tractor junk yard and buy another one. Or maybe check out the local farm supply (TSC) for rebuild kits.

To clean, scratch out the rust that you see with a screwdriver. Pull all brass jets and blow out the ports with an aircompressor. Assember together. If you need a gasket between the two castings, cut one out of a cereal box cardboard. Works great. The big decision is do you want Lucky Charms or Cheerios? The main jet at the bottom, screw in finger tight until it bottoms. Screw out 1 1/2 turns and it is set good enough to start the engine. Adjust the main jet until the engine runs smooth.

Mark
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:15 am

OK, on the 1010CA, the pipe extends 1.25" below the level of the screen and 2" below the level of the rolled bead on the outside of the can. The oil line on the cup is 1" below the rolled bead on the cup. So by my measurements, the end of the pipe will be 1" into the oil bath.
Bill Wattson

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:48 am

Thanks for the information. I am on a spelunking (caving) vacation this weekend, but I will be home later today. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Derek

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 pm

you can buy carb cleaner at most parts store that will clean your carb up

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD440IC Carb and Air Cleaner

Post by jd440 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

Carburetor:

The carb cleaned up nicely. I stripped it down, blasted it with glass beads (instead of sand) and then blew out the ports with compressed air. I spray painted the outside of the carb (to keep the rust down) and then reassembled it with a kit from Lavoy (including a new throttle shaft). I also installed a new choke plate and float, also from Lavoy. I had to repair the choke cable clamp and the choke shaft lever, but the repairs were minor.

I have a nice article in PDF format that describes the operation, rebuilding and tuning of the Marvel-Schebler TSX carbs. It was originally for Ford tractors but I am sure it works for us. I'll be happy to send it along to anyone who is interested or post it on the Internet.

Air Filter:

Thanks Bill Wattson for your help.

Constructing a down pipe from your measurements of the JD1010CA and applying it to my air cleaner, the down pipe is submerged about half an inch below the surface of the oil. This seems like a reasonable amount, since the cup on my air cleaner holds oil with a depth of 1-5/8 inches. Go much deeper with the down pipe and the bottom of the cup would interfere with the air flow.

Tomorrow, I'll trim the down pipe and see how it works. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone who has posted their helpful comments and suggestions.

Derek

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Nice End to the Story

Post by jd440 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:44 pm

My 440IC crawler is now running well and the air cleaner appears to be working! Thanks again for everyone's help.

Derek