My new toy 420c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
rustycrawler
40C crawler
40C crawler

My new toy 420c

Post by rustycrawler » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Hello,
I made the 481 mile trip (round trip) to bring it home. I found lots of things that need done on it. The magor thing is the egine is stuck. It may not be to bad as it was ran about 2 years ago. The next is the clutch and brake are froze together. There is no serial # tag on it. What are the differences between early and late 420's? It also has a Heinz 57 match of track shoes on it witch some are not even Deere. Rails have a few weld spots on them and the left front roller frame has been welded.On the plus side it has a new radiator and rebuilt starter and generator. I tried to post some pics but my file was to big so I will try to take some smaller pics.
Thanks Wade

chickenman
420 crawler
420 crawler

Early and late 420C differences

Post by chickenman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:45 am

The best way to see the differences is probably to get a parts manual and look at the differences. My 420C has no serial plate either, but I was able to determine that it is early (1956) was by the location of the missing serial plate--rivets were still there. The early ones--serial below 100001--, plate was located on center section about a foot behind where it bolts to engine. Later ones had serial plate riveted to bell housing. Other differences shown in parts manual.

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Wade,

Some spotting features to look for on the 420. If it has a oil fill hole on top of the hood and below and to the front of the distributor, it a late (58). Gated shifter should be a 57 or 58. Ungated - 56. and the plate location (or where it should be) that chickenman mentioned. If it's a 5 sp trans - It's a 57 or 58. That's all I think of without looking at individual parts.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com