1010/350 tracks, something doesn't add up

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
pjl
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010/350 tracks, something doesn't add up

Post by pjl » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem...
I locally bought a pin and bushing group for my tracks. Between the tracks on the machine and a spare set I have 3 350 tracks and 1 1010. So anyways, I built a press and overhauled 1 350 track for now. I tried to put it on the machine and it's too short at 36 links. I let all of the grease out of the adjuster, removed an inch of shims between adjuster and idler. I got a loose dummy pin through one side with no track sag. I moved crawler back and forth to seat the track. the track meshes well with the sprocket. One thing is, the front idlers are solid and apperantly rerimmed. Does anyone know the nominal outer diameter of the front idler? Does anyone know the minimum dimension between the hydraulic adjuster and front of spring pack, in case it is stuck partially forward?
I'd hate to have to rob a pin and bushing from the other track set to add a link.
I'd appreciate any input, even better if somebody can run a tape measure by there crawler, I need it for the weekend please.
Thanks PJL

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:14 am

pjl

I can't shed any light on your track dilema, but I'm quite curious about the track/pin press that you built. If you have any pics, or a good detailed explanation of how you made the machine, I would sincerely appreciate it, and I'm sure others would, too.

Thanks,

Gary

pjl
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pjl » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:44 am

I guess I'll have to put a worn pin and bush link in to add some slack.
Regarding the press, I will post a pic when I have time in the near future. It is basically a 5 x 7 x 3/8 wall tube with heavy gussets welded on top for the track and cylinder. I basically copied the press out of the service manual. I started with a 30 ton bottle jack, but it cavitated on it's side, pushed two pins though. Next was a 6 inch bore cylinder with a hand, 10 ton, port-a-power pump(could only move cylinder 2 inches with the resevoir on the pump). Took about 9 hours to get 34 pins and 2 bushings out, and a pile of pumping. Sooo, I broke down and bought an electric power pack. Took about 4 hrs to replace the remaining bushings and repin the track together. It would have been quicker if I had a lathe to make proper pin and bushing adapters like in the service manual. I basically used the metal I had around the shop, functional. I had to improve a couple welds within the first few pins, but it has stood up now for the one full track. The cylinder and pump cost me about 300-400$ more than getting both tracks redone locally. The local shop would have completed both tracks in one day as well.
I don't recommend this for the faint of heart or fabricating skills, the press hits pressures beyond 60 000 lbs. It will make metal splinter and parts fly, and it did! I used a heavy leather welding jacket laid over the press to help slow any potential flying pieces, amongst other safety equipement and precautions. I also left the pads on for additional stability and it kind of creates a natural gaurd itself.
If my local shop wasn't 1 1/2hrs away, requiring a drop-off and pick-up trip, and having to miss work, I probably would have had them do it.
PJL

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:35 pm

If I am understaning you correctly you are putting a 350 rail on a 1010? If this is the case, the rail will not seat correctly in the sprocket due to the 350 having larger bushings than a 1010. To get the rail to fit correctly, you need to get a weld on 350 sprocket rim, cut your old sprocket teeth off and well the 350 rim back on, then I am guessing that you will have no more trouble.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:13 pm

pjl,

I appreciate your taking time to explain the press. When I started messing with my little 420, I naively thought I might be able to move pins with a thread system. I spent maybe 1/2 a day building a jig from a rr tie plate. The jig was ok, but, with all the cheater bar I could put on my bolt (I think it was a 5/8 fine thread), all I managed to do was mess up the threads. The pin never moved a dite. Lavoy made it clear that I was probably barking up the wrong tree. With your add experiences, I will either truck it to Lavoy, or find a local shop. I'm learning that there are a couple around here, and that's almost 2000 miles closer than Lavoy. With the price of diesel fuel, I might have to be paid to haul them to the Minnesota line rather than paying a premium here, and I don't think Lavoy would like that arrangement. I also expect Lavoy is reading this? Sorry about that, Lavoy, but I think I found a shop in Grants Pass. I just have to do a bit more checking. Besides, my 420 is still in pieces. We got side-tracked with the forms for my son's shop floor. Life marches on.

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:11 pm

I know it sounds funny for me to say because I have a track press, but it is a lot of work to build one. Way back I made one, and we got exactly one pin out with a 12 ton jack, a torch and a sledgehammer, then balled the tracks up and took them to a track shop.
My press is considered a useless toy by today's standards, and it is a 60 ton press. If you make one yourself, be very careful. I like to save money just like the next guy, but ask yourself if it is worty losing an eye, or making the wife a rich widow. Besides, her new boyfriend may not like crawlers anyhow.
Lavoy

pjl
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pjl » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, The extensive rain yesterday didn't inspire me to go pull the track back off. Time to pay the piper, cleaned the shop instead. Lavoy, I thought the sprockets might be the problem but the links nest 100%, they may already have been 350ified. A 350 track already came off that side, and it has been rerimmed. All the pics I've seen of a 1010 have a spoked front idler, mine is solid. Any chance on a nominal measurement of the front idler o.d. and adjuster to spring minimum dimension?
It's funny you talk about your press being small, most shops I talked to couldn't do tracks as small as mine. I don't know if I should have an envy problem. lol
I'll add a link for now anyways, I really need to get some work out of it this week.
Thanks PJL