1010 Bull Gear Alignment Issue

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010 Bull Gear Alignment Issue

Post by wwattson » Sat May 12, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm a little stuck on this one. Reassembled the final drive for the left side of my crawler and shimmed everything up to get right about .008" end play. Everything looked pretty good and was turning freely so I decided to button up the bottom pan and move on to other parts of the project.

I little later I swung back to the final drive to get it ready for painting and I noticed that I couldn't turn the axle. The problem is that after setting everything up correctly, the bull gear is too close to the sprocket side of the case and is rubbing the inside of the pan.

I think I know the answer to this from a couple of other posts I read about worn axle shafts and bull gears but here goes. Anybody got any idea how I can fix this situation so the bull gear is aligned more with the center of the pan and the center of where it is suppose to be?

Thanks,
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 13, 2007 9:48 am

Bill,
One other possible answer, and I have seen it numerous times. Do you have the axle bearings in wrong? What seems like the right way is actually wrong, the other race has to go on the axle, then the bearing goes down against. Another way to look at it, is the bearings have to oppose each other, the cups can not face the same way. Seems like it would be hard to do wrong, but I don't know how many finals I have taken apart, and this is the case.
The only other thing that controls the placement of the bull gear that way is the pipe spacer between the outer bearing and the bull gear.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun May 13, 2007 10:29 am

You're right Lavoy, I got the sprocket side bearing in backwards. Let me try it the right way around and see where I end up.

Do you happen to know what the correct length of the spacer is suppose to be?

As always, thanks for your help,
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 am

Not off the top of my head, no, but it would have to be terribly worn to have that kind of effect on things, and you would have noticed that.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 pm

It was the bearing backwards problem. Turned things around and reassembled and it's right where it needs to be. Thanks again Lavoy.
Bill Wattson