MC hydraulic pump

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
snowshoveler
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC hydraulic pump

Post by snowshoveler » Wed May 16, 2007 3:21 pm

okay this is going to sound a little weird but its a question just the same.
can any of you tell me the difference between the pump on a M tractor compared to an MC crawler.
i have the tractor and am considering reworking my snowplow with hydraulics.
if i could do a proper job without cobbling it i would do it.
where the Mc has what seems like powerfull cylinders for its size and age ,im thinking the pump and controls must be capable of more pressure and GPM.
thanks for any info.
oh yes my M has the 3 piece pump.
Chris
PS i would rather have the crawler but im my area they are made from unobtanium

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 16, 2007 3:26 pm

As long as they are both the 3 piece pump, there is no difference.
MC's can be found, there is one on the board now for sale, good reason to own one of each.
Lavoy

snowshoveler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by snowshoveler » Wed May 16, 2007 6:55 pm

i would like to have the crawler thats advertised but the shipping to Nova Scotia would be equal or greater than the price of the tractor.
Now back to the hydraulics questions.
i have the IT manual for the tractors but was not smart enough to order 1 for the crawlers.
anyone perhaps have a diagram of how the lines run on the crawler.
i have looked at more than a few pics of the crawlers and i havent figured out how the cylinders operate. bear in mind i know nothing about crawlers and even tractors are somewhat new to me,im a small engine mechanic and have a friend with considerable hydraulic experience.but a drawing of the lines would be a great help to him im sure.
he has the cylinders for me and can even make up the lines once i know what i need.
thanks again chris

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 pm

Maybe I did not understand what you are planning on doing. Do you want to add hyd cylinders to an M?
Lavoy

snowshoveler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by snowshoveler » Thu May 17, 2007 3:57 am

yes i would like to add 2 cylinders to angle the blade.
cylinders are 12 inch stroke and 2 inch diameter.
not sure if it can be done.
thanks again Chris

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 17, 2007 8:05 am

You will need to add on a remote valve, an M does not have the capability to run remote hyd. You will need a valve that has a pressure relief that will go down to 1000PSI. You will need to install the valve in the pressure line between the pump and the Touchamatic. Also, an M has limited hyd capacity, so the smaller cylinders you can use the better. If you are going to use two cylinders, then you will regain oil from the retracting cylinder as the other extends.
Lavoy

snowshoveler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by snowshoveler » Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 am

hey thanks Lavoy.
so as i understand you ,i will need to put the control valve (with a 1000 psi releif )for the new cylinders in the pressure line,probably right in the dash area would be okay.
as for capacity,could i add a small tank in the return line.a gallon or so would be better than what it has now?
Lavoy...you should write some sort of book or guide for people like me.
the information you just happen to have in your head is very difficult to just look up and understand.and a lot of waht you know is probably learned from expierence.
thanks again Chris

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Chris,
Yes, that is correct. I have seen 40's with a valve added, and they put it right next to the seat on the LH side. An M may not have the same amount of room, but there is room for it somewhere.
With the diamete cylinders you are using, and by using two of them so you have return oil, you should be fine as far as capacity. Deere actually used this exact concept on the model 45 and 50 loader to gain hyd fluid capacity.
Lavoy