1010 Sleeve Deck Install Question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010 Sleeve Deck Install Question

Post by wwattson » Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Just getting set up to put the motor back together and I've got a question. The book for the gas motor talks about using aluminum paint or similar for the top gasket but nothing for the bottom rings. I was thinking of using Permatex gasket tack both top and bottom but wanted some input before I jump in.

Thanks,
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 19, 2007 8:42 am

Normally for sleeve o-rings, there is a special lube you user, I think it may be called liner lube. I am sure there are alternatives, but I don't know what they are.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sat May 19, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks Lavoy. I was talking to my mechanic neighbor last night and we pretty much came to the same conclusion; a lubricant compatible with the material.

I went ahead and assembled it as the book said without anything extra. When I looked at how it fit together, I could see that there was enough relief to the counterbore at the base of the sleeve to allow things to line up and slide together without rolling the sealing ring. Since it is not a true o-ring and is more of a gasket (being rectangular), it compresses as the sleeves bottom out in the block and doesn't rely on the side sealing like an o-ring.

Or I'm completely wrong again and it's going to leak like a sieve.

In any case, thanks for the help. I'm guessing it's fine based on the low pressure, the time I took to keep things lined up, and the basic design.
Bill Wattson