440 Reverser Problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Switching the M and N keys on people's keyboards is supposed to be a fun way to mess with their heads... need to try that sometime...

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm

The final teardown is complete, and I am going to need a few more parts than I thought. I took pics of everything, so you all will be in for a great post when I am done!
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Good news, bad news. Got a delivery from mother Deere this afternoon. They had 85% of what I needed. I am going to have to live with 2 of the 3 old shafts, and I am going to have a machine shop fab a new spider.
More info as I get it next week.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 am

Neil,

How goes the saga of the reverser? Hope you are making progress.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 am

Chuck, kinda on hold at the moment. Just crunched for time. I am VP of a snowmobile club, and deal with all of the DNR paperwork, and groomer scheduling and operation. November / December was very hectic with personal and work.

I got snagged on a new little problem, and since I was busy, I kinda dropped it to concentrate on other things. So here is my new prob: I found that all the small spider gears in the diff had the internal bearings completely disintegrated. Well that is not totally true. The ruminates of the bearings are basically fused to the bearing. Some thinker areas, some very think areas, like tissue paper, I have never seen anything like it. I tried to chisel them off, and after 2 hours on 1 bearings, and still not getting the job done, I was getting worried that I might mess up the gear. I want to try some heat, but do not have a torch at home. I have to go to a friends to try that, and that is where I am stuck.

Any suggestions on how to strip that old metal off the gear with any damage? (I can post a pic if needed, I am still documenting everything)
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 am

Well guys, spring time, and back to the crawler reverser project. I got the spider gears all cleaned up. The whole diff is at a machine shop so they can fab up the center cross that was damaged. I hope to pick that up next friday, and then I will be back at the re-assemble to get things back together. I hope to post the final repair procedure with pictures here next month.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Neil,
Glad to hear you were able to get the spider gears cleaned out. Did that reverser have a little squeal when it was cold(Below freezing) and you reversed it the first couple of times, then was qiiet once it was loosened up? I noticed this on mine a couple of times this winter. I am wondering if I may have the same bearing issue.

By the way I was sent this and wondered if it was a relative of yours,

After having dug to a depth of 30 feet last year, New York scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, California scientists dug to a depth of 60 feet, and shortly after, headlines in the L.A. Times newspaper read: 'California archaeologists have found traces of 200 year old copper wire and have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers.'

One week later, The Daily Mining Gazette, a local newspaper in Houghton reported the following: ' After digging as deep as 90 feet in a rocky field near Negaunee, Toivo Heinonen, a self taught archaeologist and Finnish miner, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Toivo has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, the U.P. had already gone wireless.'

Yeah for Toivo, a great Yooper!
Â
Sounded like it was from the Porcupine Press, the most honest printed media in the country.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 am

Hi guys, just an update on my project: Got the center spider support manufactured, I had to modify it a little, but it is installed, my reverser is back together and appears to be working properly (on the bench). The dozer is all set to be re-assembled, but I have been too busy with work, and need to find some help to put the engine back in.

Chuck, I think that this whole thing was my fault. When I ran this dozer in high school, it did not have a reverser, only a straight shaft. While in college, my dad did a ton of work on the machine, and put a reverser in it. I was not told that there was oil in the reverser that needed to be checked. I was also using the reverser without the main clutch. I apparently incorrectly assumed that since the reverser has 2 clutches in it, the proper usage was to just use the reverser lever. I still think this is what Deere intended, but through use and abuse the user community has learned to utilize the main clutch to keep things working. Anyway, I ran it low on oil, and locked up a clutch. After adding oil, I tried to work things loose, and ended up doing a ton of damage. Since it is my dads machine, I vowed to get it fixed properly, it just has taken me forever. With Car Show up here this weekend, there will be no help for me, but maybe the following weekend I will have her back together.

And on another front: I must be gluten for punishment, because I just bought a '89 Deere 310c TLB to play with! It should be delivered later next week. Don't worry, I have vowed not to play with it before the dozer is fixed.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 am

As far as using the main clutch, the owners manual will tell you this is the correct procedure. There was also a decal stating this on the crawlers when new, but I am sure they fell off or got painted over at some time.
Lavoy

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:57 am

Lavoy,
Rather surprised by that. What I have to wonder then, why design it with 2 clutches instead of just a set of reversing gears? Almost seems like it is something they could have done on the transmission instead.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Because gears can grind, clutches can not. The 420's used a gear type reverser, and if not careful, you could easily grind the gears right out of it. I also had a 420 one time without a reverser, and there was over 50% of the input shaft gear ground off, and the same amount off of the reverse gear because of a sloppy operator. With the clutch type reverser, you can not grind the gears, as there are no gears to grind. When shifting a gear type reverser, you have to wait til the gears quit turning, or after a time, you will learn when you can shift without grinding. With the clutch type, there is no waiting, just push in the clutch, and push or pull the lever, and let the clutch back out.
Lavoy

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

FINALLY DONE

Post by Toivo1037 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Finally done.
Finally together.
Finally works.
Finally out of the shop.
Finally moved a little dirt.
Finally out of the doghouse.
I can finally play with my new 310c BH.

A trial this afternoon with the manufactured part and repaired reverser ended up very good. Things adjusted up nice, and seem to work perfect. I finished all of the little things that needed to be worked on, and pulled her out of the shop. All greased up and ready to dig my basement. I will load her on the trailer and get her out to the property toward the end of the month, and get busy!

On to the next project...
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 am

Great news . Have fun operating it . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!