440ic propeller shaft coupling

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tod
420 crawler
420 crawler

440ic propeller shaft coupling

Post by tod » Mon May 21, 2007 7:06 pm

as i was out taking apart my 440 i found that the coupling is stripped .the shaft survived, hoping that it was the clutch it wasnt ,the clutch had been replaced recently .i pulled out the reverser housing and there is nothing in there, it appears that the last person who owned this crawler didnt put the guts back in it.the coupling that i need is numbered m 3665t [coupling ] [used when not equipped with direction reverser]...pin 3/16x1 5/8.add the spring 3/16x1 5/8. there was the remains of an oil seal that was still on the shaft in the front ,i did not see a bearing,any ideas ?and i need parts ist broke again .but thats ok time for a good cleaning and fresh paint.
jd 440 ic crawler i need parts when i break it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 21, 2007 7:22 pm

There should be no bearing or seal on the front shaft. Some people will just used the old reverser input shaft instead of the standard prop shaft. It will work, but it only has about half of the spline engagement that the regular shaft does.
Couplers are available new, less than $100 if I remember correctly.
Lavoy

tod
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tod » Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Lavoy wrote:There should be no bearing or seal on the front shaft. Some people will just used the old reverser input shaft instead of the standard prop shaft. It will work, but it only has about half of the spline engagement that the regular shaft does.
Couplers are available new, less than $100 if I remember correctly.
Lavoy
lavoy check out my other post about a reverser ,tell my what you think . im going to shower the tractor crud off me and ill try to get back to yoh about it. tod..
jd 440 ic crawler i need parts when i break it.