Low Sulfur Diesel Impacts on Diesel Crawlers

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Low Sulfur Diesel Impacts on Diesel Crawlers

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Everyone-

I was just reading a discussion on another board about impacts to diesel engines using the ultra low sulfur (highway) diesel due to lack of lubrication. There were several people claiming that they have heard of injector pump and injector failures due to using highway diesel without using a lubrication additive. Several guys talked about adding 2-cycle oil or engine oil to help with this problem.

I guess I was wondering if anyone (or everyone) on here uses a lubrication additive in their diesel fuel and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks-
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Thu May 24, 2007 7:54 pm

I use the higher sulfur off road stuff that is dyed red. I think it used to have over 1000 ppm of sulfur, but now is down to 500 ppm due to the EPA. Coincidently, 500 ppm is what road diesel used to have. Current road diesel has only 10 or 50 ppm sulfur, or some other low number, I forget. It is the sulfur that provides lubrication. I also add JD diesel fuel conditioner, not so much for the lubrication, but more for the anti-corrosion agents and water de-emulsyfiers to allow for better tank storage and so the water will drain off the bottom better. I have never had a problem either.
Paul

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Fri May 25, 2007 4:18 am

We were seeing an increase in injectors and pump failures due to the new blend of fuel. I add Lucas Fuel treatment to all the fuel now and also purchase only BIODIESEL or OFF ROAD.
Have been running Biodiesel in all the on road applications for over a year now and all the vehicles seem to run smoother. All off road equipment gets dyed diesel.
I have talked to reps from CAT, Cummins, and Detroit and all have shown a concern for the new low sulpher diesel, especially in older equipment. Hope this info helps.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.