pulled 420 apart - questions on steering and finals

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
TI420
40C crawler
40C crawler

pulled 420 apart - questions on steering and finals

Post by TI420 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 am

OK - got her pulled apart (420 5-roller), and I have a few questions. I'm sure Lavoy can answer them but I'd love to hear ANY AND ALL answers! Thanks in advance! - Chuck :-)

1) What is the normal and minimum thickness for both the fiber AND the steel discs? Also - what is the overall thickness I'm looking for and while we're at it - how many of each should be in there? I'll be pulling these apart tonight an assessing the condition, etc...

2) The pinion shaft plate on the outside of the finals was basically OFF. The bolts were backed out on both sides and the plates were 1/4" away from the final housing - I'm thinking this could be why the steering didn't disengage - instead of releasing the pressure plate it just pushed the whole thing sideways - does this sound possible?

3) One of the big, main, front track idlers is all screwed up - can whatever's in there - bearings, etc, be obtained and what is involved here in effort and cost? Also - ditto for the upper roller on one side.

I'm naming this machine "Frankenstein" - it's scary, it's being brought back from the dead, and pretty much EVERY part on it has been broken and welded back up, so it looks like it is covered with scars! Thanks! - Chuck :-)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:29 am

Steel discs are .093, fibers .151, there is no spec on the stack, there should be 7 fibers and 6 steels per side.
If the pinon shaft cover was backing off, that might have an effect, but not that great. You need to pull the final apart and see if any damage was done to shafts and gears if it was run with the bearing that far out.
Front idler shaft, seals and bushings are all available, $200 give or take withoug thrust plates.
Lavoy