JD40C serial number ?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hkbackus
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD40C serial number ?

Post by hkbackus » Thu May 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi.
I have a JD40C, three roller with no serial number tag on it. I believe it is a 1953. Does any one know if there is any way to find out what the serial numbers should be?
Thanks
Herb

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu May 31, 2007 12:31 pm

I hear, you can get the block number off the engine, go to your friendly local John Deere dealer and they will send it off to Mother Deere who will look it up and create you a new serial number plate. It will have bar code symbols on it, which I think looks terrible but, you'll get the serial number. I've heard they have to come out and actually put it on but I think that varies by dealer. The block number is stamped in the block casting just below the generator and just behind the hyd. pump.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 31, 2007 1:28 pm

Just out of curiousity- are you SOL with Deere if there is no verifiable way to determine the serial number? I have an early 2010 crawler whose diesel engine was replaced with a wheel tractor engine, so the original serial number is long gone. Obviously it is not a big deal for restoration because I would have no way of knowing the original serial number, but I always sort of wondered what would happen if I was stopped by LEOs for some reason while transporting it and they asked to see it.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 pm

As I understand it - Yes you're SOL. That is why they want the dealer or sales rep to place the tag on the unit. So they can verify that you have what their records indicate that block belongs to. I think there are some legal reasons. Theif identity, etc that also come into play here as well. So they have a good reason for the policy. Not having one should not be an issue outside of parts replacement where a part changed at serial number XXXXXX and you have no way of knowing. On the 40C 3 roller, it's an issue but, becasue it's a 3 roller Herb knows it's below below 62263 which is where the parts changed. On a 2010, I don't know if there is a spotting feature to determine the general range of the serial number.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 31, 2007 2:56 pm

I have already found out that the serial number breaks on the 2010 crawlers vary depending on the part or part system you are replacing; for instance the serial number break for undercarriage components is a much higher number (later, around 42,000) than for fuel system components (around 22,000). It has been a real learning experience trying to determine from the parts manual what my serial number is- I think I have it narrowed down to around 20,000. The parts book has been indespensible for this trial and error approach.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

hkbackus
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD40C serial number ?

Post by hkbackus » Thu May 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks for the help. Ill take the engine block numbers to the local JD dealer and see what they come up with. Thanks again.
Herb.