Steering clutch adjustment.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Steering clutch adjustment.

Post by Jimmy in NC » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:13 am

Getting ready to reassemble the final to the steering clutch housing hopefully tomorrow evening. I have adjusted the clutch fingers per Lavoy's suggested .800". Question is should I go ahead and adjust the throw out bearing all the way out since the clutch was originaly set at ~1.150". My logic is it will be easier to move it toward the center of the tractor than it will be to move it out after assembly. The manual doesn't say alot about this other than adjust it to just touching after taking up ~1.5" of free travel in the steering control arm.

Anyone that has been through one of these have any thoughts or comments??

Jimmy in NC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:26 am

Jimmy,
With the fingers set where I told you, on 90% of the crawlers, you will need to set the throwout bearing so that the adjusting bolt is just at the edge of the slot, or even up to halfway out. You may find that you do not need to adjust the throwout bearing again.
One thing I forgot to tell you, is to make sure the "turnbuckle" between the steering lever shaft, and the throwout bearing holder is adjusted correctly. If it is too long, when you pull on the steering lever you are not doing anything until you have gotten all of the play out. This wastes motion, and makes the levers not as uniform when done. Adjust the linkage until the throwout bearing moves the second the you pull on the steering lever.
Lavoy

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:00 pm

Ok I'll check that again in the morning. I think it's good from my playing with it but I will check it again for sure.

Looks like it may be Mon. afternoon before I get to slide the final in now. Welder is dragging his feet and looks like a ride to the beach is required by the boss.. on Sunday! Ohh well..

I'll keep everyone posted as I progress.