420 top idlers and hydraulics

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

420 top idlers and hydraulics

Post by ggfossen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I'm sure all the old salts know about this, but some of the less initiated might benefit....

Earlier this winter, I ran the 420 in mud. Then we snowbirded for a spell. After returning, I put it back in service, and started pushing dirt instead of mud. After about a week, I decided I should poke around in the mud, and lube everything. I found that the top rollers had been frozen by the mud, and the tracks were simply sliding over the rollers. No harm was done, but it could have been.

Sometime back, I reported that I had successfully rebuilt my blade hydo cylinders using a cylinder hone. They worked about a week, and began leaking again. This time, I took them to the shop. They were much over spec, and they had to turn new pistons, and install modern seals. They now work well, but my effort with the engine hone was a total waste of time.

On the up side, the little crawler seems to be getting stronger and smoother with time. I think the engine is finally breaking in. It has never used oil, and starts very easily. The generator still doesn't generate, but I manage to charge it about every 3 days, and that takes care of it.

I also added a ripper tooth to the front corner of the blade (Holt outside frame). I had an old large tooth, and simply built up a receiver pocket. Works like a charm on the hard pan.

Gary