differences between gas and diesel 440 crawlers?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

differences between gas and diesel 440 crawlers?

Post by Tim_in_IA » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 am

Just wondering how different the two models are. Do they use the same transmissions, radiators, fuel tanks, etc or are there several differences aside from the engine? Would it be possible to convert a gas to a diesel by simply swapping the engine?

Thanks,
-Tim
1958 440ic with blade

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:41 am

There are two different 440 gas crawlers, those made before the diesels came out, and those after. The later gas crawlers use the same transmission as the diesels, but use different bull and pinnion gears. Not a big deal, you could run them. You probably could convert one, but you will need a donor crawler to do it, there are a lot of parts that need to be changed.
Lavoy

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:53 am

Lavoy wrote:There are two different 440 gas crawlers, those made before the diesels came out, and those after. The later gas crawlers use the same transmission as the diesels, but use different bull and pinnion gears. Not a big deal, you could run them. You probably could convert one, but you will need a donor crawler to do it, there are a lot of parts that need to be changed.
Lavoy
Ok, so that probably means I couldn't do it. Based on my serial number I think I have the 5th or 6th 440ic ever made. So I probably have the early style. My gas engine runs fine (once I get the water pump and radiator in that is :) ). But I love diesels!

Thanks Lavoy!
-Tim
1958 440ic with blade