Crawler Transport Using Commercial Companies

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Crawler Transport Using Commercial Companies

Post by Tigerhaze » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:45 am

Hi I had a couple questions about crawler transport using commercial companies. I lucked out when I bought my 2010 because the owner's nephew had a gooseneck trailer and gave me a sweet deal to move it. I now have an opportunity to purcahse a parts crawler for the same machine and my biggest question before purchasing is commercial transport of this 2010 parts crawler. It is located in an adjacent state to mine (Illinois to Missouri), about 550 loaded miles (almost all interstate miles).

-When getting a quote, what do I need to know beside the weight and dimensions (do I need to know the freight class)? Would that be considered a full truck load?
-I've heard in the past that $1 to $2 a loaded mile is generally the cost range for long-distance shipping. Is that reasonable given current fuel costs?
-Do you think I am better off cost-wise using a larger freight company (such as what can be found using freightquote) versus a smaller company that maybe would use a large pickup or hauler versus a semi?
-Do they need to put in HLR in neutral or a towing gear before winching onto the trailer?

If anyone has any ideas on a small company that could transport for me I would appreciate it- I probably need to find a cost in the next couple of days to know whether I can swing it.

Thanks in advance for any advice-
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:07 pm

They will need to know pickup zip code, destination zip code, weight and dimension. You will likely have a difficult getting someone to pick up a dead machine unless there is a loading dock and equipment on both ends. There are few carriers that have ramps and winch. If you get an RGN or something like that, you will pay through the nose. Another big factor is time frame, the longer you can wait, the cheaper it will be. If you have some time, I have a guy that hauls for me that is reasonable, has ramps and winch, and likes hauling this old stuff.
Lavoy

dlplost
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dlplost » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Basic 2010 crawler weighs 8492# (original factory shipping weight)

Back when we bought our TD-9 we discovered that the local Tow Truck guy had a rig to haul the big stuff. Big tractor/trailer rig where the flat bed trailer was a rollback with a Winch on it. The TD-9 didn't run and needed to be winched, with no loading dock around. He said he can haul up to 80,000#. So thats what we used for the TD-9. $85/hour, cost us $900 for 500 mile round trip with 18,000#.

Talk to your local tow truck guy. He more than likly has a rollback that can haul up to 14,000#, and it'll have a winch on it. Your JD 2010 is less than that. My 2010 Diesel with the 622 dozer is just under 11,000#

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:19 pm

A guy like lavoy is talking about is usually the best way to go I had a guy haul some stuff out of the state of Washington that was very reasonble but he was allready heading to Ohio and just used it as a fill his name was Gary Wilson phone # 509-750-5908. He has a winch and if he is ever coming through your area I would highly recomend him. He is always on the go so you never know. Howard

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:33 am

Thanks for the replies.

I actually made a call to a buddy of mine who used to be a tow truck driver; he still has contacts and is looking into costs for me but I wasn't sure how quick an answer I would get from him so I thought I would ask. I nmay get in touch with the others mentioned just to have some options.

The guy said he could let it sit for a little while; however he also said he was selling it because it is on a buddy's property so that may not be as long as he lets on.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment