420C Steering Clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
blackb23
MC crawler
MC crawler

420C Steering Clutches

Post by blackb23 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a 420 crawler loader... The machine will drive forward and backward just fine. However, it does not turn. So I am getting ready to take it apart to get to the steering clutches.

My question is... when I take the machine apart what would be the assumed minimum parts wise I need to have on hand to replace. I have read too many posts about people just cleaning everything up and putting it back together and the clutches slipping, then having to take it apart again anyway.

So I am assuming I will just buy new fiber and steel clutch discs. Is that enough or should I go ahead and get new brake bands too. I just got the manual from JD.

So I am going to take it all apart soon. But, I don't have a garage so I want to make sure I can get it back together quickly.

I posted pictures of it in show and tell.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=1799

Thanks, Mike
Mike
JD 420c Crawler Loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:53 pm

As an absolute minimum you should put in fiber discs. If the crawler does not turn, I would assume that the clutches are rusted up. In this case, you should likely put in fibers, steels, throwout bearings and pressure plates. No way to really know on brake bands until you get it apart.
Look real close at the 5 little springs that are in the clutch housing, they are often times broken.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am

I'm in the camp of - I don't want to do it again.

I'd replace all of the items Lavoy mentions plus the bearings for the axle and pinion shaft and the axle seals.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com