1010 diesel in oil?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
olrobk

1010 diesel in oil?

Post by olrobk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Anyone know if it's possible for diesel fuel to leak into the oil pan while the machine is parked, not running?
Or perhaps when it IS running?
Or maybe it leaks back down the return line to the fuel tank above the motor, through the injector pump somehow, and into the oil pan with engine off?

I seem to be gaining engine oil but not losing anti-freeze or reverser oil so I don't think it's the cylinder o-rings or the reverser. I have the oil out of it with a clean can under it to see if it drip, drip, drips fuel.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:58 pm

Could be bad seals in the injector pump or you may have a bad injector.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

olrobk

Post by olrobk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:40 pm

I've got bad seals in the Roosamaster injector pump. I GAINED half a gallon of motor oil in a few hours operation. I don't think Jesus is providing a fountain of oil in my crankcase. I left the oil pan plug off for a couple of weeks, not a drop came out with all the fuel lines open. There is no water in the oil. I'm not losing coolant. It has to be a leaking injector pump driveshaft. Somebody told me these Roosa's were designed to run horizontally but are vertical in the 1010 so they wear funny. The shaft is loose as heck. This must happen a lot to these machines, no?
Who's THE rebuilder who is familiar with these?
Any advice?
\

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:30 am

Roosa pumps are fairly common, any diesel injection service shop can rebuild them. It won't be cheap. :roll:

Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:04 am

Ah, the magic oil fountain. I saw one machine that leaked thru the injector seal so badly that the oil level rose until it puked all the oil out of the engine. It had half the oil pressure it was supposed to. When we drained the crankcase nothing but diesel fuel came out!

Leaking injector will more likely just cause a puff of smoke on startup.

bpshaffer
MC crawler
MC crawler

injector pump

Post by bpshaffer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:31 pm

i just replaced the seals in the bottom of my pump you can pull the shaft out the bottom with out taking the pump apart but remember the location it comes out hard because there is a o-ring that holds it in. the seals ore only about 5$ apeice and they are easy to change.
bpshaffe

olrobk

Post by olrobk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:40 am

Yes I've been told you can yank the shaft out. Glad to know it's possible. There is apparently also a problem with plastic parts hardening and breaking up inside the Roosemaster. It is SO WORTH getting the pump rebuilt completely. What a difference in performance, as Lavoy has said many times. It's like a new machine. My pump and four injectors were $600 to rebuild. I highly recommend it. There is just no comparison in power.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 pm

600 to have a pump AND injectors rebuilt sounds pretty good to me.

People have no idea how crappy a diesel engine can run, and seem OK, until the tops of their pistons start disappearing and they're forking over thousands for a rebuild. Injector replacement at regular intervals (maybe 4,000 hours) is considered normal maintenance, as well as getting the pump rebuilt as soon as it starts to act up.