More Problems with 2010 icd

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

More Problems with 2010 icd

Post by ironyetty » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Recently put a new head gasket on my 2010 ICD. I have worked bleeding the fuel lines for 2 days and I still can't get the beast to fire up. I tried a shot of either and it will pop a second on it. Does anyone have any thoughts? It's driving my nuts not being able to run it.

Thanks in advance,
Ironyetty

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pammark » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:11 pm

There may be several problems to get a diesel started. IT may be an injector problem, air in the lines, plugged fuel filter, or out of time. Timing should not be a problem if the injector was not removed.

I would unloosen one of the injector lines so very slightly at the injector and crank the engine. You should see a spray of fuel under pressure. If not, try to unloosen a bit more (sometmes the nut is loose but the tubing is stuck tight). If still no spray then the fuel is not under pressure from the injector. Bleed the line. Try other injectors too to test for spraying fuel. If none of the lines spray it is either lots of air in the line, an injector problem or plugged fuel filter.

If you get one to spray, tighten it up, it is ready to fire. See if you can get another to spray. Crank the engine to see if you can get it to run on two cylinders. You might have to use some ether carefully to get a good spin on the engine. It will finally run on all four after the engine runs a bit.

Speaking about fuel filters, make sure you fill the new filter with fuel level full before installing. An empty fuel filter is a lot of air to pass.

Keep me informed.

Mark
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:42 pm

I replaced both of the fuel filters when I redid the head. I followed the book as to the proper way to bleed the fuel filters. They have two bolts you back off to let fuel flow, one at a time of course then I began the bleeding of the lines. I seem to have good flow through the lines but I didn't check it like you said to see if the lines have pressure. the number one injector ( the one closest to the front) seems to pop as I turn over the motor not sure if this is caused by the pistons pressure or the injector pump, but it is the only one that seems to do this. I seem to have good fuel flow as I am turning the motor over.

Ironyetty

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:03 pm

When I bleed the injectors, I will loosen all the injectors and then have someone roll the motor over, while the motor is turning I will tighten the injector lines down as they exhibit a good flow. Doesn't matter the sequence. As they are tightened down the motor should try to fire.
With that being said does your glow plugs work properly? If they are you don't want to use any ether or you may get more than you bargain for :cry:
The glow plugs will not only be energized in the left position but also in the start position.
Hope this helps,
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

2010OWNER
440 crawler
440 crawler

2010 not firing

Post by 2010OWNER » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm

Many years ago I paid several hundred dollars to have a John Deere field mechanic come out and rap the side of my injector pump with a screw driver.
Don't know if it is your problem, but some shutoff had stuck inside my pump. Hasn't happened since.
Brian

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 2010 not firing

Post by Tigerhaze » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:30 am

2010OWNER wrote:Many years ago I paid several hundred dollars to have a John Deere field mechanic come out and rap the side of my injector pump with a screw driver.
Sounds similar to the "rapping the side of the carburetor" trick to get a float unstuck. I didn't realize that works for injector pumps as well!
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

dlplost
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 2010 not firing

Post by dlplost » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:
2010OWNER wrote:Many years ago I paid several hundred dollars to have a John Deere field mechanic come out and rap the side of my injector pump with a screw driver.
Sounds similar to the "rapping the side of the carburetor" trick to get a float unstuck. I didn't realize that works for injector pumps as well!
Only works if done properly by an Authorized JD Service Mechanic who has been properly trained and PAID...
1963 John Deere 2010C, Diesel, 6 way PAT Dozer
1950? John Deere MC
1952 Ford 8N
1950 Ford 8N with Sherman over/under drive and homemade Backhoe & Loader
Did have a 1956 IH TD-9 Drott Skid-Shovel, "Smokey"