420c Needs some parts

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

420c Needs some parts

Post by Davie Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi there.

I finally got a 420c after several years of going to auctions. Best i can tell is its a 57 serial#102941 as best i can read, the serial plate is not in the best shape. At some point had a collision on the front and the radiator and shell are damaged, the water pump is gone, they welded a bearing so that the fan would still work. She's stuck so i need to try and get the pistons free. other then the motor parts i'm hoping the rest is in okay shape. I would like to get her running this summer.

I'm also looking for a dozer blade and a winch. I have no idea were to look for these so i thought i would ask on here. The main casting under the radiator is damaged as well and i would like to obtain one in good shape.

Thanks, Have a good one.

Dave.

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:27 am

I'm gonna have to rebuild the engine in my 420c.

IS there a bolt or stud kit available for rebuilding the 2 cylinder motor. I have built some car engines using the arp bolt sets and its a great addition to a rebuild.

Or does anyone know what bolt cross reference to order them separately.

Thanks
[/img]

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Okay here are some pics.

I would like to replace this casting.
Engine is stuck. Trying to loosen it, if possible. Any ideas to make this easier?
This is the fan pulley, hmm i thought there should be a pump there.
The shaft is like this on both ends.
I'm missing this plate aswell.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:13 pm

No bolts are available unless you find something that is a direct copy from the automotive world. Normally they are good enough shape to use again. I can't say that I have ever had to replace one.
Measure your block bore, I don't see a tach drive boss on the block, someone may have substituted a 40 engine for the original.
Lavoy

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:24 pm

:( Darn, 4 inch bore, well what do i need to do now. Should i rebuild this engine or should i try and find a 20 series engine? I know there is a hp advantage to the 20 series but is the 40 motor basically the same? This little tractor rebuild is starting to spiral out of control. Well i guess i will continue to disassemble and clean up the parts that i can. Did this version of crawler have a 12volt alternator or was this a change over aswell?

Dave.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 am

I guess I would go back with a 420 engine, as long as you are doing it, do it up right. 420 engines are not that hard to come by.
They were always 6 volt, generator only.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 am

Davie Sprocket wrote: This little tractor rebuild is starting to spiral out of control.
My automotive and tractor restoration projects all seem to spiral out of control- I have been learning that it is the same with crawlers only larger and less available parts! :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I think a service and parts manual would help you a great deal. Deere still sells them but at a premium. Lavoy may have some and they are availbable at tractors shows, ebay, etc.

Welcome to our world.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm currently waiting for 3 different manuals. Service, parts and i think a cheaper service manual. But i still have alot to do before i need to worry about the bigger stuff. My list seems to be growing the more and more i get into the project, but in the end i will have a crawler that i have always wanted since i was a kid.

Dave.

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 pm

Well i got one of the manuals and its not even for the crawlers, and is actually pretty limited in what it does cover for the wheel tractor. I'll have to see what the other ones are like. Looks like I'm missing some of the parts to make the governor work properly aswell.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:19 am

Hi,

I don't know what version of manuals the three you ordered are, but if one of them is an I&T brand manual, then it's pretty much worthless.

If any of them are Deere service manuals, then you need *three* of those to cover the 420: the one for the 'M', the one for the '40' and then the one for the '420'.

Keep in mind that with the Deere manuals, they wrote them for the dealer's service departments. They didn't duplicate information from older models in the newer manuals if it hadn't changed. This means that half of what applies to the 420 is already covered in the 40 manual, and half of what applies to both the 40 and 420 is covered in the 'M' manual.

The reason is simple: there were (and are) and awful lot of manuals to be stocked in a service shop's library to cover the entire range of equipment. The less space any one manual takes up, the better. So, they didn't duplicate pages to save space.

I have four manuals for my 420c. It's a late 58 and so *almost* a 430, and some things on it are actually 430 things and are covered in the 430 manual and not the 420 one. A prime example is the differental-style direction reverser on my 420. It's not covered in the 420 manual, but is covered in the 430 one.

When working on the old girl, I start with the 420 manual and if the data isn't there, then go to the 40 manual, and if it's still not there, then I go all the way back into the 'M' manual to find it. If I still don't see it, then I open the 430 manual last.

Now, all that said, there are some things not in any of the manuals at all. Like how to rebuild the carb, or the starter, or the generator. That information is in seperate manuals for those components that cover the entire lineup of machines from the 'A' to the 730.

Now, that's the bad news.

The good news is that the parts manual for the series covers everything from the 'M' thru the 440. Mine is the last version, dated 1962, which was the end of the line for the 440 production, so it's all in the one book. It's actually the parts manual that I use 90% of the time, as the exploded view diagrams are what I need to fix things. The other 10% of the time, I need the service manuals to get the proper steps to take down and reassemble things.

Having said all that, also be aware that the Deere manuals cover *all* of each series. All the various wheel tractor information is in there with a only few sections covering the crawler-specific bits. There is no one manual, service or parts, that covers only one variation - like the crawler.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Oldhousehugger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Saw this old gal on Craigslist in Benbrook Texas

Post by Oldhousehugger » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:19 am

Saw this old gal on Craigslist in Benbrook Texas. Benbrook is SW of FT Worth about 40 miles. They are asking $500
August 16 2007
I'd put a picture of it here but can't figure out how. Just go to the link and it will tell you the story.
John

http://dallas.craigslist.org/grd/398896861.html

This is a link to a JD 350 which was opened up several years ago but might have some parts some one needs. I looked at it last winter and it was nothing I could use but it is definetley there. The guy buys and sells scrap construction equipment.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/398537460.html

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Yeah don't get many of those kinds of deals up here. The small crawlers were not that prevalent. Larger crawlers yes, I've run across a lot of d6 size cats for even less then scrap prices but then you gotta move it. I wish though that even if you don't need it when guys run across those deals they look into getting them just to stop the old parts going to the scrap yards. When i was a kid my uncle took me to a junk yard, the guy had all kinds of old cars and parts. A couple years ago i drove by the area and the yard is a sub division, asked my uncle about the cars and he said he had found out from car club friends that they were all crushed by a scrapper, none of the cars were ever offered out, the old guy running the yard died and his family just called up the local scrap yard and they all went to him. See stuff like that on other forums and wounder what the world has come to. Truly sad but maybe its just me.

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:50 pm

After inspecting the carb on this unit, i found it cracked from the water that had entered the system. As well the more and more i look through this crawler i find more confusing parts. What i'm starting to figure out is that it may be a mish mash of 40 and 420 parts.

As of this time i have gotten another crawler from fogswamp down in washington state and i will be working on this one, its running and operational aside from the right hand steering not working - when you pull the lever the track brakes but it tries to stall the motor so i figure it is the clutch for that side drive that is seized or something.

I'm going to clean up what i can from this crawler and box the parts up and put them in the shed for now, most likely if i need any parts for my new one they will come from this one.