430 w/90 loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JLambert
MC crawler
MC crawler

430 w/90 loader

Post by JLambert » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Bought a 430 yellow crawler w/90 loader that I don't know much about yet. Not an original hood. Have 420 parts catalog and service manual. Preparing to adjust clutches and brakes, hoping :) I won't need to disassemble.

Question 1: Battery was bungy corded atop 5 rear weights, behind seat. Is this necessary because of difficulty of getting to battery box with loader mounted? Ideas for improvement?

Question 2: Seat bracket is held up off transmission case about 2" on 4 bushings with 1/2" X 3" cap screws where manual says 1/2" X 1" cap screws go. Any idea why? To see over the loader cross arm? Necessary because of weights? Right side of bracket has been torch cut to allow lever travel.

Question 3: A trapezoidal piece has been saw cut from the left steering clutch housing from the clutch adjusting opening plug (about 1" wide) up to the top cover opening (about 2-1/2" wide). Any idea why?

Thanks for helping me get started.
Risk more than others think is safe.
Care more than others think is wise.
Dream more than others think is practical.
Expect more than others think is possible.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Battery should be under the fuel tank, not the easisest location, but not that hard.
Seat needs to be elevated if you have 5 counterweights, but that is not the way to do it. Originally they had to pieces of wood that go on top of the seat base, and under the seat slide.
Saw cut sounds like something a lazy mechanic or operator did rather than doing it correctly.
Have fun with the new toy.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Congratulations on your new machine. I would love to have a 430. I do have a 420 with 90 loader. What part of SC are you in? I'm just out of Charlotte.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com