440 transmission output shaft alignment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 transmission output shaft alignment

Post by ironyetty » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:00 pm

I am rebuilding a 440ic 5 speed transmission and am needing to set the correct shim up on the output shaft but the book calls for a specific tool a AM452T to give me the proper mic thickness to my ring gear. From what the book says I install this (AM452T) and subtract the number etched on the output shaft from the set tool number, I believe it is 2.275 or something I would have to look back in the book, and that gives you the mic thickness to be measured between the shaft and this tool.

Is there any other way of going about this or would getting this tool make it easier?

Lavoy, do you sell this tool?

Thanks in advance,
Ironyetty (cliff)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:05 pm

I never did sell it, I was able to get a repro one a couple of years ago, but that is the only one I have ever seen, known of, or heard of. It is something that could be made.
Up until I had this one, I just put in the same number of shims that I took out.
lavoy

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Problem is I am not sure what was in there its all tore apart and the old shims have been thrown away. This has been a learning process from the start. Just don't want to worry about the rebuild once back up and running. Any other suggestions to put this back together?

Thanks
Ironyetty

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am

I think the service manual gives a starting number of shims.
Lavoy

switchhappy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by switchhappy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:50 am

i just got done re-building my 440 tranny.. mine was tore apart for 2 years befor i got it.. when i put the new ring and pinon n i set up the pinon first.. i thaink i used 4 shims.. but what i did was put the ring gear n and see if the gears was comeing back to the ring far enough.. in my case the pinon was the easy part.. just be sure u put that bottom shaft n befor the pinon. but i had the hardest time with the ring gear back lash.. after taking it out about 50 times and moving shims i ended up gitting it at the lowest nember the book called for.. i figered betime the berings broke n id be n the middle.. if u have any other question i can try to help.. my tranny is working great thanks to ed at crawler hevan