rebuilding a 115 cid gas engine for a 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Joe Iannitto
420 crawler
420 crawler

rebuilding a 115 cid gas engine for a 1010

Post by Joe Iannitto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm kind of new at this crawler thing so I hope my question don't sound too stupid. My 1010 has some blowby, can see visable smoke when running. So far I have not had sparkplug fowling and I have an oilpressure of about 25 - 30 at running speed. In the near future I am thinking of rebuilding the engine. I have never rebuilt a sleaved engine before, so the question is do I have to replace the sleaves when replacing the rings. I am making the assumption that the cylinder walls are no scored or out of round. If the walls have some light scoring can I run a cylinder hone down the bore?
Thanks,
Joe

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

1010 is a sleeve deck engine, all of the sleeves are mounted in a plate and they are all removed at once. Only source for this is Deere, and they are pricey. At one time there were oversize pistons available, and you bored the deck out and reused it. My guess would be that you will not find scoring, but I would bet they will be egg shaped. If this is the case, honing does not really accomplish much, a ball hone would be the only thing that would do it anyway.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:53 pm

I just rebuilt my 1010 engine and what Lavoy said is right on the money. The cylinders were all out of round and tapered so the only thing that would work is having them bored .020 over and use the oversized pistons. Deere only made .020 over pistons so if it's been bored once, it's done and you get to spend about $700 on a new sleeve deck and another $600 on a set of standard pistons. I've got my old .020 pistons as I had to replace the pistons in mine when I put in the new sleeve deck so if you get to that point, drop me a line if you want the old pistons and pins.

Lucas oil additive and running heavier oil might help with the oil burning until you get to rebuilding.
Bill Wattson