Differences between 2010 and 350/450 crawlers?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Differences between 2010 and 350/450 crawlers?

Post by reb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:23 am

Hello,
I am a farmer in Nebraska and I need to do some small tree removal in my CRP. I havent run or been around any crawler loader tractors before. Im trying to decide if I should pursue a 350 or a 2010. These are the crawler loaders that seem to be in my price range. I would like to know what is different (updated)about the 350 (pre wet clutch) machines. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ross/Nebraska

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm

350 is smaller and lighter than a 2010 with less power, however parts will be more readily available for a 350.
Lavoy

reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by reb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Is the 2010 more prone to breakage than the 350/450? Are there any trouble areas (besides clutches, UC) that I should watch for on a 2010? I am leaning towards a 2010.
Thanks for the forum.
Ross

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:06 pm

I think a 350 would be a better choice. You're going to find the 2010 parts issues to be a real problem if you use it on a regular basis and have to support it.
Bill Wattson

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

I posted in the "Late Model" section; I own a 2010 and can tell you that parts availability (and price if you can find them) is going to be more of a problem with the 2010. I have already experienced some shocks when it comes to this.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by reb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I havent found anything very close to nebraska. There was a 2010 on Ebay last night in ohio that I seriously considered but didnt bid. It went for $2500 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=020
I found a 2010 on the west coast that has backhoe,4in 1,ripper for $5k but it needs steering clutches and id have a lot of transportation cost. There is a 350 gas in IL for $6k but is the 350 really worth $3500 more than the 2010?
Does anybody know of anything in Nebraska,Kansas,Iowa,SouthDakota area?
Thanks, Ross

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Well, first of all that "2010" in Ohio might have actually been a 1010; the spoked front idler is a giveaway that something is amiss since the 2010s have solid front idlers . The 1010s have almost as many parts availability issues as the 2010 from my understanding, and you probably wouldn't have been satisfied with the torque of a gas 1010 if you are wanting something bigger; if so a 350 gas may not be what you want either. It depends how big of trees you are wanting to yank out and how much dirt moving you have. I can tell you (and maybe even post up some pics) of walnut stumps I was pop[ping out of the ground yesterday. Even with my 2010 being a diesel, I was having a heck of a time popping out even the smaller stumps on 8" to 12" walnuts wihout digging a crater first.

The 2010 on the west coast is interesting because my understanding is that you can have the backhoe bracket on it, the ripper bracket, but not both. Of course you could switch them out (with time and effort) but it would be nice to have that flexibility. I also sure would like to have that Drott 4in1 on my loader. The transportation cost for all of that probably would make the deal not worth it unless it was in good shape with an excellent undercarriage, since it sounds like you would need to do some steering clutch work. It is tough to find all of those attachments in one spot.

Theres a 2010 loader on MachineryTrader in PA for $2500 with supposedly a freshly rebuilt engine and transmission. The undercarriage looked worn but serviceable from the few pics they took.

There have been a few 2010s in Illinois lately that went from $2000 to $5000. I haven't seen many 350s here in the Midwest for sale lately. It's really sort of hit and miss to find 2010s and 350s for sale around here- that is why I purchased the 2010 I found locally.

There are a few 450's (straight through C models) here in Missouri in the low to mid teens (one of them with new undercarriage), but that sounds like more than you are looking for.

I'm sure Lavoy or others of us on here will keep or eyes and ears open if we hear of one-m you may need to be patient as I had to wait a couple of years before I found the right deal for me.

If you're just wanting something to remove small trees, you may be better off getting a mdeium sized skidsteer and getting the hydraulic shear attachment for it, but that wouldn't be near as fun as owning a vintage crawler like these.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:37 pm

I don't know that either crawler is more or less prone to breakage, that is usually an operator error type thing. I have nothing against 2010's, but the simple fact of the matter is that the parts availability for the 350 will be substantially better than the 2010. The 2010 shares very little componentry with any other crawler, they are kind of an orphan.
350's were made through 4 different series, and at least some of the parts from the later series will retrofit backwards. Add to that, the aftermarket does a very good job of supplying parts for the 350, while they supply almost nothing for the 2010.
For example, an engine rebuild on a 2010 diesel will run you a couple thousand minimum assuming you have no obsolete parts broken. A 350 will be in the high hundreds at the most for the same parts if that.
If you really want the features of a 2010, and the extra power, than go to a 450.
Finally, a word of caution, don't buy a crawler based on price and think you can fix it up cheap. Buy a good crawler to start with, and you will save way more money than you will by buying a bargain crawler and throwing bucket loads of cash at it after the fact.
Again, nothing against the 2010, but you strike me as somone that is concerned with upkeep, and parts availaility, and the 350 wins hands down. IF however, you want a 2010 because you specifically want a 2010, by all means go that way, I fully intend to myself when one presents itself, and I can afford it.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 am

Hi,

Lavoy is *so* right. Never buy a machine on the cheap and expect it not to cost you a lot of time and money straightening things out. Most machines I see under $10k on eBay and on Machinery Trader fall into the category of being a money (and time) pit.

I've seen only one 350 on eBay in the past few months that looked like it was ready to go to work and not need a bunch of work. That one ended a few days back and was listed for $14k and was in Wisconsin. Note that it was a 320C (third series with the wet steering clutches) with 6-way, 3-pt hitch and PTO (both rather rare options on a 350). I see where it's relisted at a much lower price but with a reserve now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0146911435

Of course, I'd not bid until I looked it over and it's way too far away from me to have an interest, even though I'd like something newer (and larger) than my 420c.

I can't say as I've seen a 2010 for sale that looked like it was ready to go to work in the past several months.

Now, I have seen several JD 450's that looed like they were work-ready. That's probably your best bet, as there are a lot more 450's out there than there are 2010's and 350's added together.

Based on what I've seen lately, I'd say you'd need to have at least $15k in your pocket in order to get a work-ready 350 or 450.

If you spend $5k on one, be prepared to spend that extra $10k in repairs to the thing. In other words, there's no such thing as a cheap crawler!

Hey, I ought to make that my tag line! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Ross-

I thought I would add to what Stan said. I am sure that he knows from experience that buying a low-cost machine is going to add up between parts and repairs to a better shape but more costlier machine in the long run. I really haven't had to go through that yet with my machine but I know it is probably coming. I've already been preparing for undercarriage repair by purchasing some of the parts that are hard to find. You'll know best if you want to go through the time, hassle, and expense of fixing up a machine with limited parts availability just because of the low initial purchase cost.

I was in the same boat as you when I got involved in this obsession (hobby) and had limited capital to start out with. It actually wasn't very long ago- just last year. I am constructing a house and machine shed on a timbered tract. I rented a larger crawler loader to remove some of the bigger trees and do the major grading and cut/fill work, and wanted a smaller crawler to do the finish grading and some small tree removal as well as have something unique that could do some ocassional heavy lifting. The 2010 has been great for that, and I have only had a few minor issues (slipped track, blown hydraulic line, etc.). I basically have been lucky to this point. I am somewhat careful in how I go about the work I have been doing to try and keep from stressing the worn parts too much.

I think everyone here is not trying to discourage you from getting a 2010 but want you to go into it eyes wide open that you could double or triple your purchase price with a single repair (if you can get the parts).

If you are wanting a high production machine that can get a lot of work done with no hassles, you may want to think about renting a machine. I got a full week of work out of my rental crawler including mob/demob) for around $2K and looking back I am glad I did that. The 2010 couldn't have handled taking down the 60' trees and the large volume of cut/fill that I did with the rental. The nice thing about the 2010 is that I can go about the smaller jpbs on my schedule and have a nice collector's item to boot.

I hate to dominate any topic but felt I had some perspective to add from my own experience of going through this- is there any other 2010 or 350 owners that want to jump in?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:34 am

Hi,

Oh, absolutely. I'm not trying to say 'don't get into this stuff'. I'm just trying to point out that old iron most always needs a lot of work, and that the amount of effort and expense tend to be related to each other! :)

I'd hate to see anyone get into a $5k machine, then put it to work and wind up in a real pickle. That means when you're in the soup and the thing decides to slip a track off or the steering clutch packs give up and leave you with no drive at all.

These things *never* break when they're in the shop! They *always* break in the worst place you have! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)