New Member with a 420 with sticking steering

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
HEIKKS
MC crawler
MC crawler

New Member with a 420 with sticking steering

Post by HEIKKS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:28 am

Hi everyone. I have been a viewer of this site for a while and finally registered. I do lots of reading of past and present posts to help with some issues on my 420.
Right now I am having trouble with my right steering sticking. Sometimes I can pull the lever a little and the side will lock and then slowly move again. It feels like it always has some resistance on it. I was wondering what kinds of adjustments may be made. The right lever is about a inch further back than the left?

Any info would be great and love the site. Scott
Scott Heikkila

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 am

sounds like the break is comeing on to soon. the break can be adjusted by removing the cover on top of the drive and backing off the screw on the lever. there should be some free play in the lever before the throw out hits the presser plate then once the clutch is fully released the break is engaged.there is full proceedure in the book with measurements but that is not sitting in front of me right now.

now as far as the lever sitting an 1" back the rod that connects lever to throwout needs to be adjusted, also may not be pushing the TO all the way to full release
welcome to the board
nick

HEIKKS
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by HEIKKS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am

Hi Nick, thanks for the advice. The right side has been sticking a little for a while but I kinda ignored it. Now I have the crawler sitting on the side of a sand bank and cannot get back out because the right side has too much pressure from the sand etc. to help out. This is what I get for waiting to fix it. Scott
Scott Heikkila

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:37 am

are the clutches slipping? soundes like your in pickle

HEIKKS
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by HEIKKS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 am

don't know. The right steering lever needs to be pulled back almost to the end sometimes and other times not. If i push into a dirt pile on the right side of the blade my right track will then lock or slow down and not spin or anything like that but the left will keep on pushing?????
Scott Heikkila

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

yea there slipping, check to make sure the TO is not touching the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged to drive, any pressure on the plate will allow it to slip when loaded. if one track spins out both should spin out. also i had troubles with mine that oil seal was bad on the trans side and leaked to the break band. so look for any oil, it should be dry as a popcorn fart in there.
check adjustments first then go from there
nick

HEIKKS
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by HEIKKS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks Nick. I did look in there. The right is dry but the left looks a little shiney/wet. I will try the adjustments this weekend and let you know the results.

Thanks Again, Scott.....
Scott Heikkila

HEIKKS
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by HEIKKS » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Nick, I adjusted the clutches and brakes like the manual said. When I push in the foot brake, the right one stays in and I have to pull it back out. It seems like the brake is stuck? Are there any solutions for this?

Thanks, Scott....

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:43 pm

i am not sure ill have look at the book when i get to the shop, i think there is a spring in there