Advice MC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
MWIT
MC crawler
MC crawler

Advice MC

Post by MWIT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:09 am

Hi,
I'm new to the list and crawlers, but have learned a great deal reading previous postings. I'm looking for some advice regarding an MC I found out in the woods. The owner was using it,then covered it for the winter 4 years ago, couldn't start it next spring and there it sat. I can have it if I can get it started. The starting should be no problem, and the drive and steering clutches don't appear to be frozen, but the undercarriage looks bad. The rollers appear to have been cut out with a torch and new ones welded in. The welding was poorly done because three of the rollers have broken the weld and flop around freely.

My question is, do I get involved with this thing, or leave it in the woods? Can the rollers be repaired for a reasonable amount of money or would I be better off spending my money else where.

Thanks

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:27 am

Well, this is only an opinion but here goes. Based on what you said about the rollers, it makes you wonder what else you're going to find. In the end it really depends on your goals. If you're thinking you're going to get to a usable crawler cheap, that's not going to be the case with this one.

Lavoy had replied to a similar post I had put of the board last year saying that you shop for a good undercarriage. A year later it makes perfect sense after I've spent time and lots of money getting an undercarriage restored. Not knowing what kind of welding was done to the rollers and the impact to the track frames, it's hard to say how much it would take to fix it, but the mindset of the person that maintains a crawler the way you describe would have me looking elsewheres unless you just want a project and you don't care if you have to scrap it or part it out in the end.
Bill Wattson

MWIT
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MWIT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much knew it was a lost cause, but needed a second opinion. Those crawlers really are evil. Several times I'd pulled the tarp over that crawler and told myself "don't ever come back out here because its not worth it". The next weekend I'd be back out there with my tool box, early in the morning before anyone had woken up. I think I'm done now though....I think.

Thanks Again,
Markus

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 am

I didn't necessarily want to talk you out of it either Markus. I think you just need to understand how expensive a "free" crawler might get.
Bill Wattson

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 am

It would seem to me that a "free" crawler, in any condition, is a source of free parts. I paid $400.00 for a parts tractor.
Gus

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:45 am

I would think that if you can get it free, it is well worth retrieving for resale as a parts crawler at the very least like previosuly stated.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am

If you want an MC, get this one for parts for a better one that may will find later. Repacing rollers and trackframes on an MC will be really pricey, but if the crawler on top of it is good, you will still have less than the price of an MC with good undercarriage under it.
Lavoy

MWIT
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MWIT » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 am

I appreciate the input. I've really enjoyed the hours I've worked on the MC so I won't give up on having a crawler just yet. My plan is to spend a little more time on it to get it started, then move it to a place where it can sit safely. At that point I'll invest in some user manuals to better understand these tractors, and start looking for a better crawler and use this one for parts.

Markus

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey Markus-

Did you see that Lavoy had a disassembled MC for sale in the "Little Shop O' Deeres" forum? Might be worth a call or e-mail for you.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment