JD 440IC Oil Filter Parts

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 440IC Oil Filter Parts

Post by jd440 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:11 am

Hello,

I bought a JD440IC a short time ago and I went to change the engine oil and filter. There was a distinct shortage of parts in the oil filter case. There was only an oil filter element (very clean looking) and a flat disk (lower sealing plate) under it. The other parts are missing - this means that the oil filter has not been working.

I only have the service manual to work with, and specifically Figure 60-30-12 for the parts breakdown. If someone could provide me with a few measurements, I could fabricate the missing parts.

I need dimensions for the following missing parts:
1. A disk on top of the filter element with a boss for the spring. (Outside diameter, thickness, bore, boss outside diameter and height, and material)
2. A spring. (outside diameter, wire diameter, number of active coils [not the coils that lie flat, but those that bend], and free length [length with no load applied])
3. A washer or spacer that sits on top of the spring. (Thickness, material, inside and outside diameter).

Your help is greatly appreciated so I can get me crawler going again.

Thanks,

Derek (JD440)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:20 am

Derek,
Are you sure that you are missing those parts? Look uo inside of the "can", that is where they are supposed to be. I make exactly the same mistake once.
Lavoy

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi Lavoy,

I think you are right! When I look up into the can, I can see a flat disk which I had mistaken for the bottom (top?) of the can. Boy do I feel stupid, but happy that the parts must be there.

Now when I took off the can, there was very little oil in it. In fact, the inside of the oil filter looks clean and shiney. Do you think my oil lubrication system is working properly or could it be plugged somewhere?

Thanks for your help,

Derek

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:40 pm

It could be plugged, and it is also possible that the groove pin that goes throught the distributor drive gear has sheared off, I have seen that before. If you have the oil filter can off, spin the engine over and see if you get any oil coming up. Also make sure that you have a good oil pressure gauge.
Lavoy

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD440 Oil Filter

Post by jd440 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:22 pm

Good news Lavoy, there is oil coming out of the oil filter port when I turn over the engine. Now all I need to do is add a new oil pressure gauge.

The service manual recommends 20W oil, is it all right to use a 10W30 oil? My weather conditions are very similar to Washington state - lows to freezing and highs to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for all your help,

Derek

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:31 pm

Derek,
Won't hurt a thing, I run Mobil 0W-30 synthetic in mine and have no trouble.
Lavoy