removing hydraulic pump

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

removing hydraulic pump

Post by spooler » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Ok, I just can't afford the manuals.
So I have been trying to remove the hydraulic pump on a 420c. Now I don't claim to be intelligent but I am showing supreme stupidity.
I have removed the grille, the angle iron bracket that the bottom of the grille bolts to, the radiator, the bolts on the skid plate, the bolts where the splined shaft connects to the sheeve the bracket that holds the pump up. No matter what I can't seem to ge the pump loose. I need to loosen this pump so that I can replace the large hydraulic line that runs between the bottom of the engine and the skidplate, it burst.
It would be nice if I could get that heavy chunk of iron that is in front of the pump off. I have removed every bolt I can find and it wont move either.

frustrated in Alaska
chuck

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:20 am

Chuck,
Did you remove the front part of the 2 piece casting?
lavoy

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by spooler » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:06 am

the two piece casting of the hunk of iron that is in front of the pump? or the front piece of the casting of the pump itself? For that chunk of iron I have removed the angle iron on top of it, the side bolts and the 5 bolts where it bolts unto the skidplate. Thanks for replying Lavoy. I think I read something on here once about manuals on cd..I will look for that and check in here after I go check on a two piece casting.

DUH,
chuck

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am

I assume you are referring to a crankshaft driven pump and the factory two piece pump front casting, may be I messed up. If you are, the big front casting on the front of the engine is in two pieces. The front piece holds the grille and grille guard, and once it is removed, you have much better access to the pump. Once that is off, there are 3 bolts that hold the pump mounting plate to the casting, and about 5 or 6 bolts that bolt the pump. Removing the 3 bolts that hold the pump mounting plate to the casting should do the trick. Two of the bolts have hollow dowels around them, and the pump may be stuck on them. A little wiggling and/or prying should get it to come off.
lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Chuck,

There are 4 bolts that attach the bumper from the back side of the support casting. Did you get all 4 out?

Larry
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by spooler » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Yes, Lavoy it is the two piece bumper.
Digger, You have the answer. I have removed the 5 bolts that hold up the skid plate. But I have only lowered the plate an inch. So i must now remove the skid plate and then I will see the 4 bolts BEHIND the bumper casting! THANK YOU Lavoy and Digger. I will think of you all kindly as I lay in the sand this evening. It will be some much more refreshing with all that hydraulic oil soaked in it.

Smiling in Alaska,
Chuck

P.S. I found a running 420 crawler for $2500..I hope to sell it to a nieghbor for $3000..therfore financing the purchase of some manuals;)