440IC Steering Clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
The Fireman
420 crawler
420 crawler

440IC Steering Clutch

Post by The Fireman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:53 am

I got the engine back together yesterday, so far so good. A big thanks to lavoy for the radiator mounts, they worked great and have got my radiator up off the pump shaft.

My second problem with this machine is the right steering clutch is not working. I the throw out bearing moves out but never contacts the fingers on the preasure plate. I went trough the adjustment this morning, when I loosened the bolt and adjusted the bearing out the bolt ends up out of the slot in the collar before I can get any king of contact with the fingers. Even with it out there I cant get the clutch to release :(

I think the clutch has to come apart but I wanted to ask before I tear into it. Is there anything I could be missing that may be out of adjustment? Somthing tells me this clutch could be even more fun that getting the hydrostatic drive morors out of an 850C :shock: Oh well I've had bigger crawlers apart if I have to do it's no big deal, just dont want to create more work than I heed to.

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pinion quill and bearing.

Post by emichaelhaynes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Check the pinion quill above the axle shaft on the final drive. It's a round cover held on by three bolts (or some bolts and some studs). If it's loose or missing the entire clutch pack can move outward. If the bearings contained within have crumbled, same problem.

Replacing the clutches isn't as bad as all that. However, fixing all the other things you find along the way can set you back a bit. DAMHIKT...

michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:12 am

One other possibility is that if the fiber discs have absorbed moisture, they grow, and compress the pressure plate finges down against the pressure plate. If that is the case, you will need to pull the final.
Lavoy

The Fireman
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by The Fireman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:10 pm

I'll Have to take a look at the pinion shaft, I dont hear anything that would indicate a bad bearing or the like but ya never know. the oil in that final looks pretty good and I didnt get any chuncks out of it so I'm kinda leaning towards the clutch.

The tops have been off the clutch housings for who knows how long so I'm sure some water got down in there over the years. I'll take a look at it tonight if its now the pinion I'll be pulling the final wendsday morning. No point in putting off the inevitable.