440 won't move-just stopped

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
duckthis1
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 won't move-just stopped

Post by duckthis1 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:31 pm

I have a JD 440 IC with loader and a 51 backhoe that wont move.About a year ago I went to park the machine and it just stopped in place and will not move,I have had the machine covered since this happened,since it stopped outside.Is there anything i can do to trouble shoot the problem before i call the dealer.To be quit honest i dont have much experience with crawlers,I can get around ok working on typical tractors and automobiles,but i have a feeling i will be learning how to work on this myself,since I would think having the local Deere mechanic come out could get pretty costly.Thanks in advance for any help or advice.Dave S

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:11 am

Does it run, or did the engine quit?
lavoy

duckthis1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by duckthis1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:40 am

Motor runs fine.she just wont move in any gear,it did not make any noise when it quit,it just stopped and won't move.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:37 pm

You need to determine how far power is going. With the engine running, and the clutch out, does the transmission grind if you try to shift it? If you have a reverser, it is dead in both directions? Does the PTO spin if you engage it, and have the transmission in gear? Check these things, that will narrow it down somewhat.
Lavoy

duckthis1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by duckthis1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Ok I just went out and tryed what you said and no it does not grind at all if I try to put it into gear with the clutch out. I don't understand what you mean by the reverser being dead in both positions,i never used the reverser in the short time that the machine was running after i bought it,but it does nothing in either position.The pto will not spin either while in gear and running.Thanks for youre help.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:20 pm

Based on what you have found, I would guess engine clutch. I would have thought reverser, but if you have tried it in both forward and reversed and the PTO still does not turn, then it is likely the engine clutch broken. There is an outside chance that it has stripped the splines out of the reverser, but the first place to start is going to be pulling the engine.
Lavoy

duckthis1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by duckthis1 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:37 pm

Lavoy,Thanks for all youre help and this will give me a place to start,but it will be sometime before I am able to get to it with so other many projects already in the workings.Thanks again.DaveS