Removing tracks

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Removing tracks

Post by gus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 am

How much should the tracks be loosened before removing?? I did a search but could not find the information. How much sag before there is no spring tension?

When reinstalling, how much sag? I don't have a manual yet. Sorry if this is an old subject.
Gus

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Gus,

On a five roller - 1/2 to 3/4 in. of sag on each side of the top roller.
4 roller - 1 1/2 in of sag.
3 roller - 1 inch of sag.

To remove them I'll offer a silly answer - As much as needed. You want to get the tension off the idler and that's maybe a 2-3 in sag? It would depend on how many rollers are on the track. I've never really checked the sag. Just the weight of the track will keep some pressure on the idler.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:54 pm

I would leave the tension alone and just take it apart. Break it at the top of the sprocket so you only have to worry about one side flopping around. Use a come-along to rejoin the tracks.

On a larger machine or one with hydraulic tensioners it is wise to loosen the track till you have a couple inches of sag beforehand. You may not be able to get heavier tracks together again if not very loose, and/or hydraulic tensioners are most easily retracted by standing on the track while it's still on (in other words, loosen it while you still can).

Rex
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Rex » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:15 am

Gus

I cut a length of timber 8 x 2 I think! that sits above the roller frame and supports the sag then you can break the track with no tension on the pin. I find also that it helps to drive the master pin into a length of pipe that is solidly braced behind the pin, to prevent the links twisting slightly and pinching the pin as you hammer it out.

Rex

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 am

I have some pictures of the process in the "Show and Tell" forum if you need to see it. I found that I had to use a 4-ton come-along to get my hydraulic tensioners to retract along the frame rail, and it was tough even with that the first time.

Since we are on the subject, after tension is removed and the track split on a 2010 how bad is it to replace the tensioners? It looks like mabe it's just held on by the four bolts on each side on the front idler frame and maybe some bolts near the tensioner spring?
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment