420 Front Idler Question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mac29138
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 Front Idler Question

Post by mac29138 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:05 am

I recently purchased a 420C (my first 2 cyl) and had to rebuild the engine. I have the old girl running like new now. There is still a lot of other work to be done before I can push a little dirt. Both front idlers need new bushings and I need to do lots of track work also I need to repair the brakes. I was curious about the front idlers, has anyone replaced the bushings with a good quality heavy duty roller bearing setup? Can the idler be machined to fit good bearings and seals in place of the bushing? I am not trying to keep it perfect, just trying to make it a little more user friendly. There is such a wealth of knowlege on this site I had to ask about this.
Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 am

It would have to be tapered roller bearings, I don't think a regular ball bearing would take the side thrust in the long haul.
Lavoy

TI420
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by TI420 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:56 am

Hey - I just did one of these on my 420 and my thought is that with a new shaft and bushings, and good oiling by a caring owner, you'll be fine pretty much forever...

I just did this and did NOT get new seals - they were just too expensive. Did spring for a new shaft and bushings - put the old REALLY crummey seals back in, and used JD corn head grease since the seals were split.

Seems to be working great and like I said, with constant care, should be fine. Don't get too carried away with trying to make these better - just take care of them. Hope this helps! - Chuck :-)

mac29138
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mac29138 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:33 am

I wanted to see if anyone had done this and how it turned out, just curious. I had considered using the tapered roller bearings and have the idler turned to fit. I had read some of the post about putting oil in the front idler and potential seal problems. I will not be the only one to lube the old girl and didn't want to have to replace the bushings again because someone busted the seals. Where I live we have red clay, sand and slate rock. That combo can chew up some pretty good steel. Sounds like new bushings, seals and corn head grease is the way to go.