new member 40c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

new member 40c

Post by Swawpy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:05 pm

proud 3rd owner of 40c 4 roller with winch, blade, and rops/canopy. very excited to start playing and working and just looking for any info on machine. it has a carco model c and am curious about correct operation... pto, engagement lever, and brake. thanks for any and all info or tips in general. all i have done is change every fluid possible, greased, and points/cond, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and optima 6v. absolutely pures! if i can post a picture you'll see 420 decals but it has no water pump. thanks again and what a geat site and member feedback- chris [/url]

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:14 pm

If your winch is the same as mine was, it drives off of the high speed shaft, so PTO has no effect. You engage and disengage with the shift lever on the winch. I think you should release the brake before winching.
Lavoy

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

thank you- that was fast. do you think the brake should be left on or off when not winching but still using the blade ? or does it matter. the lever on the winch is bungeed in (disengaged) im guessing because there is no spring or detent to keep from "falling" into gear. the brake looks original and resembles an emergency brake frome a car except that it is adjustable by turning the grip. mounted on the left fender. i think my pictures are too large and am having a hard time formatting. i was hoping to find out which blade i have but will have to become more computer savvy to add pictures. thanks again and by the way im the one you are sending 5 14" pads to

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:06 pm

Brake should probably be on when not in use, just to prevent any cable from spooling out. Your brake controller is different than mine was. Mine was a large lever mounted on the winch itself.
Your pads left here today.
lavoy