Lindeman Final Drive

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
judd
40C crawler
40C crawler

Lindeman Final Drive

Post by judd » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm working on a BO Lindeman restoration and noticed some clicking in one of the final drives when I turned the sprocket after removing the track. Being curious and not wanting just to paint without repairs, I've disassembled the final drive. The pinion gear has some obvious wear, some pits and chips on a few of the teeth. I'm guessing the clicking came from this damage. Also, the final drive housing has been welded up after cracking in several pieces some time in the past. I'm tempted to purchase a used (but not welded) housing and maybe the gears. Is this advisable, or just put it all back and not worry about it. The dozer has seen it's last dirt pile and will just be used for show and putting around. Will appreciate suggestions.
Judd :?:

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:56 pm

It could be a bearing in the final that is making the clicking noise. I would diffinetly look for a used one but if the gears are all right I wouldn't be afraid to reuse them also check the bearings. I would replace the ring and pinion if they are bad.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I would have guessed bearing too. I'd double check them just to make sure.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:25 pm

A good undamaged Lindeman final will be quite hard to come by, and quite pricey. If yours is structurally sound enough, I would dress up the repair a little, and reuse it.
Lavoy