1010 steering clutches slipping

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
kyboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

1010 steering clutches slipping

Post by kyboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:41 pm

I have a 1010 that doesnt steer to weel when turning left.it does ok for a couple of turns then it quits. we have put new pressure plates in and the disks seem to be ok. i was going to tear it back down and just thought i would ask the experts there opinion on what to look for and where to start.the brake band seems to be set ok it just quits when you pull back on the left stick after a feww turns.any info is appreciated.
buck

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:18 pm

What do you mean by quit? Engine stalls?

kyboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

steering clutches

Post by kyboy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:59 am

I had messed up on the previous post. when you pull the right stick back the dozer stops moving when it should be turning.it will turn for a few turns then when you try to turn it will stop turning. the longer you run it the worse it gets.it will continue to move forward but no steering.sorry about the confusion.
buck

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:14 am

If it will turn left fine but stops when you try to turn right, that's probably a weak left side clutch. When both clutches are working together or the right is pushing to the left, it works, but when the load is on the left clutch it slips. That is the most likely thing.

Do you have any slack in the left steering lever? Levers should pull back an inch and a half before they start to disengage the clutch.

kyboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

steering clutches

Post by kyboy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:13 am

there is a little play not sure how much.we have done the adjustment,where you dis-connect the are and push the throw out bearing against the fingers of the pressure plate then adjust the arm to the right length.we thought maybe the brake band was catching to early,but we backed it off and it done the same thing. we are trying to avoid a tear down but it looks in-evitible.we may have to add a disk to fill it out.