Hardfacing wire for Roller Build-up

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Hardfacing wire for Roller Build-up

Post by wwattson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 pm

I know this topic has come up before but I don't know that we talked about any particular product. I'm looking at using the VertiWear AP hardfacing MIG wire for doing roller build-ups. This wire goes down relatively soft (on the order of Rc 8 for three passes) but quickly work hardens to the Rc 50-55 range. Seems like it would be a pretty decent solution to doing roller build-ups but I have no experience with these alloys. Any of you guys that are welders got any experience with these?
Bill Wattson

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:10 pm

a friend of mine (yeh, i have a couple, and no, i dont pay them) uses this on buckets for end loaders and trachoes and blades on D 8s (used it on my backhoe, worked fine). I don't see a resone why you cant, i dont know how machinable it is.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:16 pm

My fear would be that it would end up being too hard. I don't know the number, but I think Stoody had a build up wire, called a work hardening wire. It went on soft, then work hardens just like the wire you are referring to, but my assumption is not as hard. If you can find any specs on this wire, it might give you an idea as to finish hardness once it has work hardened.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Lavoy, the numbers I posted are off the data sheet for the VertiWear AP wire. Berco lists the hardness of their current production rollers as RC 56 for shell surface and RC 40 at the core. Sprockets are similar showing RC 54 surface and RC 40 core. It seems like the hardness is about right assuming that the older crawler parts used similar values but you'd know better than I.

I'll do some digging on the Stoody wire and see what I learn. I appreciate the feedback as I've used none of these products and don't know what works.
Bill Wattson

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:01 pm

Stoody sure has a bunch of different alloys for these applications. It seems from their selection guide that the mainstay is the Stoody 105 wiring or Stoody 1105 electrode. Neither is work hardening and the hardness is in the RC 40 - 45 range as deposited. Most of their work hardening wires are in the same range as the Vertiwear with some going as high as RC 60.

I'll have to see if I can find a similar selection guide on the McKay/Hobart site to see what they say. Now you know why I asked. So many choices but so few roller shells. Lucky for me I've got two extra in case I screw up.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:50 am

IF the new rollers are in that hardness range, then it should be no problem. Only catch I could think of is if the new rails are harder as well, to match the harder rollers.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am

I was thinking that about the rails myself Lavoy. I know the new rail links are in the same range as the roller shells but I don't know what the old links were hardened to. It seems from the stuff I've read that the really hard hardfacing alloys are reserved for cutting edges and teeth and that the roller alloys seem to be more in the RC 40 - 45 range and non-work hardening. I'm sure this has a lot to do with getting better hardness control for the application and making sure that if something has to wear, it's the roller rather than the rail links.

The added benefit is that the recommended alloys can be machined with carbide tools so you overbuild to a degree and then turn to smooth final dimensions. Now all I need is a better MIG welder and that turntable you and I talked about last year.
Bill Wattson